Page 209 of 209 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209
Results 2,081 to 2,089 of 2089
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Bern Caughey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,366
    Default
    Looking forward to the 1080p 10-bit firmware update. Assuming VFR will not be available in 10-bit, but love to hear otherwise.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    261
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
    ProRes can't be an industry standard until Apple open it up to encode on Windows PCs.

    As long as it remains Mac only it's never going to be useful to 90% of the world as a proxy or main format.
    So how can companies like Atomos and Blackmagic encode to Prores if it isn't an open standard? Is its lack of support on Windows due to Apple not releasing the spec, or just to Apple not providing the codec on Windows?

    I'm all for open standards, but I don't think that Apple is under any obligation to invest in implementing and supporting any codecs on Windows.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    203
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by iain.bason View Post
    So how can companies like Atomos and Blackmagic encode to Prores if it isn't an open standard? Is its lack of support on Windows due to Apple not releasing the spec, or just to Apple not providing the codec on Windows?

    I'm all for open standards, but I don't think that Apple is under any obligation to invest in implementing and supporting any codecs on Windows.
    Apple controls ProRes encoding on PC in order to try to force people to buy Macs. That is anything but being open.

    By the way it is easy to encode ProRes on a PC just use ffmpeg. The quality is great however it is not optimized for multi-threading.

    Miraizon used to sell a ProRes codec on Windows but they got bought out....


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,719
    Default
    I was assuming up to 60p VFR FHD 10bit would be available in firmware update... why would FHD be locked to same as 4K 30p 10 bit?? I'll be quiet disappointed if it's 30p in FHD only


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member visceralpsyche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hilversum, The Netherlands
    Posts
    669
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I was assuming up to 60p VFR FHD 10bit would be available in firmware update... why would FHD be locked to same as 4K 30p 10 bit?? I'll be quiet disappointed if it's 30p in FHD only
    Up to 60p in 10bit

    https://www.dpreview.com/news/647363...rmware-updates
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films

    www.visceralpsyche.com

    Mobile NL: +31 (0)6 2095 2590
    Mobile JP: +81 (0)80 8439 4635
    Twitter:
    @visceralpsyche

    Facebook: Paul Leeming

    Epic-X #135 DRAGON & GH5 w/ EF Metabones Speed Booster


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    736
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Apple controls ProRes encoding on PC in order to try to force people to buy Macs.
    That's not true. Apple not investing a competitor's ecosystem is different from "controlling" it. In fact, both Adobe and BMD have indicated that they are working on their own ProRes implementations. (Anyone can license ProRes.)


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    203
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    That's not true.
    Feel free to believe that, I believe otherwise!

    Apple, in my opinion, is very anti open software.
    And when it comes to customer support I assume everybody still remembers Apple's "support" of Quicktime for Windows.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; Today at 10:05 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by iain.bason View Post
    So how can companies like Atomos and Blackmagic encode to Prores if it isn't an open standard? Is its lack of support on Windows due to Apple not releasing the spec, or just to Apple not providing the codec on Windows?

    I'm all for open standards, but I don't think that Apple is under any obligation to invest in implementing and supporting any codecs on Windows.
    Companies like Atomos pay a licensing fee to use Prores...because to make their recorders competitive and because clients demand it, it's one of the costs of doing business...


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,719
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
    Woohoo!

    Paul, any chance you (or anyone) can confirm it's not just 1080p 59.97 (60p) mode that supports 10-bit, but 24p with VFR enabled and selectable and regular intervals up to 60p? Seems obvious, but I always get nervous these sorts of details might be potentially missed... really hope it's in 1.1 as I have a big project next month I want to use that mode on!!!


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 209 of 209 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •