Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by silyn View Post
    Neither. I avoid anything that uses any type of projectile no matter how soft and harmless it can seem or be. Replica guns is the way to go. Adding fire and sound is a very simple thing routinely done in post.
    THIS can be undetectable from the real thing. And it's cheap.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

2. Collapse Details
    Model guns was the term I was looking for. Here is a video:

But the more videos I see of these the more I think the stuff sound with the orange plugs are not the same thing.

3. Collapse Details
    Most bigger feature productions hire a Weapons Master that will coordinate with the Stunt Supervisor and Director on the type of weapons needed on a per scene basis.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah these model guns are cap guns where the cap is put into an outer shell that is ejected. These are pretty sweet.

5. Collapse Details
    Those are damn cool! Need to slow it down a little so there is less fire coming out of the action and more out of the barrel, but still really cool.

6. Collapse Details
    As a side note, a real MAC 10 or MAC 11 is the cheapest class 3 fully auto machine gun you can own.

7. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    I don't know, but be careful!

- Why a Gun Loaded With Blanks Can Still Kill You
    - RIP Brandon Lee. Through a series of freak but possible events, the firing of a blank led to his death

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to research any risks as much as possible.

Sorry I sound like a mom. I must officially be getting old.
    There's a big difference between loading a REAL gun with blanks and using a gun designed to shoot ONLY blanks.

Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum both died tragically as a result of blanks loaded in REAL guns. If guns designed to fire ONLY blanks had been used, both would be alive today. Guns designed to fire only blanks have solid barrels -- nothing, not even fire or smoke, can come out of those barrels. Just about the only way to hurt anybody with a gun designed to fire only blanks is to hit them over the head with it.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic Filmworks View Post
    I just use the real thing. You have to put a target where no one is in direct line of fire (and out of camera) and make sure your shooting actor hits that target. No big deal. Just have to have a couple spare actors just in case.
    In addition to a couple spare actors, you'll need additional supplies ... http://bodybagstore.com/

9. Collapse Details
    Might as well get the water recovery body bag in case you are in the desert. That store is kind of morbid, would have never thought there would be that kind of need for a store like this.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Richardson View Post
    Guns designed to fire only blanks have solid barrels -- nothing, not even fire or smoke, can come out of those barrels.
    Interesting. So are these the only effects of "blank guns": the recoil, an empty bullet case jumping out, and maybe some smoke at the back? You still have to add a gun flash, it sounds like, in post. I thought that the main reason to use blanks, instead of nothing, was to get a real gun flash out of the barrel. Then again, guns seem to spit out less fire in real life than in movies.

On a related note, I think post-added gun flashes look fake unless you somehow light up the gun and even the actor a little. The light from a real gun flash would light up the gun itself and stuff around it a tad. A dead give-away of a fake flash is that a flash emits from the gun, but nothing around the gun receives any light. Maybe have a light off screen pointed at the gun, which you flash when the actor pulls the trigger. The trick would be timing it just right of course.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast