Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This still seems like primarily a secondary camera for things like drones, car mounting, crash cam etc.

For example if you were shooting the main content on a C300 the XC10 would be perfect as a little b-cam.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by analog_addict View Post
    This still seems like primarily a secondary camera for things like drones, car mounting, crash cam etc.

For example if you were shooting the main content on a C300 the XC10 would be perfect as a little b-cam.
    That and also for Hard-core Run N Gun, reporting, webb etc.
    In other words a camcorder. Many confused camcorders with stills-, cinema- or production cameras.

A recent example for me was yesterday. I whent down to a beach with the dog and had a 5d2 with ML with me.
    Turns out it was full of people, barbecue, volleyball, kids and everything during an awesome sunset.

I shot a few clips with the 5D but constantly though "I wish I had brought the XC10".
    Probably would have quadrupled the amount of footage if I had it.
    Not only due to speed but also reach and stealth.

3. Collapse Details
    Can anyone explain to me how wide this camera really goes during filming HD and 4K. I think Canon says something like "photos are 24mm but video is closer to 28 because the 16:9 crop". Does this mean the XC10 will give a similar field of view to a 5D Mark III shooting video with a 24mm, or 28mm?
    Cheers!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarte_kat View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how wide this camera really goes during filming HD and 4K. I think Canon says something like "photos are 24mm but video is closer to 28 because the 16:9 crop". Does this mean the XC10 will give a similar field of view to a 5D Mark III shooting video with a 24mm, or 28mm?
    Cheers!
    I just compared to a 24mm on a 5D and its pretty much identical when shooting video on the XC10.
    When I switch to photo mode it's a tiny bit wider.

5. Collapse Details
    This turned out to be a little run n gun test. Last minute I got 2 hours of free schedule to visit one of my towns race tracks.
    So with no tripod, mic, access to get closer and under a 2h time limit from entrance to exit, what could I get.

It a shame I didn't bring a mic because there was 20min break which I could have used for interviews.

6. Collapse Details
    nice

7. Collapse Details
    For any given focal length of lens, DOF is the same regardless of camera format. 50mm DOF is the same on an S16mm sensor as it is on an FF35. The field of view is the only thing that changes between the two.

This is a 50mm f2.4 shot from my old 1/4" CCD Canon GL2. The pot is about the size of a human head. The sharp focus DOF is only about half the depth of the pot.
    A FF35 camera would give a tight medium two shot of the whole table at the same settings and DOF.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by diegocervo View Post
    nice
    Thanks

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    For any given focal length of lens, DOF is the same regardless of camera format. 50mm DOF is the same on an S16mm sensor as it is on an FF35. The field of view is the only thing that changes between the two.

This is a 50mm f2.4 shot from my old 1/4" CCD Canon GL2. The pot is about the size of a human head. The sharp focus DOF is only about half the depth of the pot.
    A FF35 camera would give a tight medium two shot of the whole table at the same settings and DOF.

Yes, but I think you know what we mean. A FF is a better choice than a s16 if one wants alot of SDOF. Let's keep it simple.
    Same with focal length, you and I know that a 50 is a 50 no matter what sensor.
    But if someone asks I'm still gonna tell them it's 150 on s16. Less confusion.

10. Collapse Details
    Got some fun stuff in the mail today.
    Among other things a new on camera mic for ambient sound. Will be fun to test it out on the XC10 and other cameras.

Besides the good price to performance and features the form factor was a deciding factor. I like using my "EVF" flipped up so it couldn't protrude backwards to much.

I also took the opportunity to test the XC10 as a camera for product reviews/demos. The reach and parfocal lens is a nice feature for it. A bit limiting with a small sensor for that type of video but totally usable.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast