Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Playing with the Canon XC10
    Had a quick play yesterday to get to know the camera a little better.
    Planing on shooting something more exciting this weekend.

2. Collapse Details
    Stress test of the built in ND, no highlights blown.
    (except for a tiny bit in two clouds)

This turned out to be a little run n gun test. Last minute I got 2 hours of free schedule to visit one of my towns race tracks.
    So with no tripod, mic, access to get closer and under a 2h time limit from entrance to exit, what could I get.

It a shame I didn't bring a mic because there was 20min break which I could have used for interviews.

Last edited by Lobbamobba; 08-09-2015 at 06:29 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Did lots of lens tests today during our morning walk. Haven'tedited, will probably use it for a review. But I puled some frame grabs.

Closest Focus at 24 mm (20 cm)

Closest Focus at 240 mm (50 cm)

240mm Lets you keep distance (but of course less background).

"Shallow" depth of field 24 mm f2.8

"Shallow"depth of field 80ish mm f4.0

"Shallow" depth of field 240mm f5.6

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    It's seems like a deep camera. The only way to get shallow DOF aesthetic is to shoot at 240mm 5.6 at the minimum focus distance, then it looks pretty shallow, the bokeh is creamy and nice too, when you get it that is.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebrahim Saadawi View Post
    It's seems like a deep camera. The only way to get shallow DOF aesthetic is to shoot at 240mm 5.6 at the minimum focus distance, then it looks pretty shallow, the bokeh is creamy and nice too, when you get it that is.
    The backround is out of focus already at 24mm but I see what you mean. 1" or s16 is not for SDOF, neither is camcorders imo.
    Then iTs s35 or FF, m4/3 in a pinch

6. Collapse Details
    You can get wonderful shallow DOF with the S16 BMPCC with a lens as short as the Sigma 18-35mm., - at 100mm (FF equiv.) it's a great close-up lens with it's 9 blade rounded iris.

With my nikon primes, 105 and 135, the bokeh and blur are gorgeous on the Pocket and it's a bit smaller than 1"

It's about the right lens and composition. With them, a 1" sensor certainly allows for nice shallow DOF.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    jimagine: Yes with the pocket not with the XC10, when you have the ability to change lenses you can get very shalllow DOF on s16/1" sensors using the right glass, Fixed lens here, the DOF of the XC10 is 24-240mm f/7.6 to f/15 on a Full Frame camera/lens. a FF 240mm F/15 is pretty shallow though. But a 50mm F/9 is really, really deep.

Masaya Maediya, high end Canon executive recently said the XC10 is for suitable news, which makes since, I would love to shoot news on this, any shallower would give me trouble. Also note how Canon gave it a 4:2:2 broadcast-approved codec, for the broadcast/news industry.

It's well thought out and targeted at a hungry market really.

I can see every news cameraman shooting with one on the streets in a few months, with the image, size, media, codec, battery life, depth of field, AF, IS,

For narrative filmmaking, I think the lack of control over depth of field makes it immediately unsuitable for that market.

It will definitely have some use on narrative though as a B cam/crash/drone cam for the larger Cinema line projects too because of C-Log and XF-AVC codec and colour science. I imagine it will replace GoPros on Cx00 projects.

8. Collapse Details
    Ebrahim, I was just clarifying your words " 1" or s16 is not for SDOF".

You made a general statement about sensors not the XC10 which is what I wanted to clarify for people who might get confused.

And of course the quality of the DOF is contingent not just on the speed of the lens, but on the quality - the way it renders OOF areas.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes yes, I've shot plenty with my three BMPCC, xc10, rx100 and s16 film cameras to know that you CAN get "shallow" death of field.

What I mean is, who cares?
    If I really value sdof and need it for a specific project I shoot full frame or s35. M4/3 is pushing it but doable.
    Anyone asking me to recommend a camera for sdof will not get the answer "bmpcc with lens-x at f0.95".
    I will say s35 at f2.8 or FF at 4.0.

In other words I did absolutely not buy the xc10 for sdof, I use FF for that

10. Collapse Details
    I'm glad for you.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast