Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I see.

We do output a signal voltage for recording at the RMT port. If anyone can find out what that edge detection signaling is on the F35 then we could determine if we are or could become compatible. It is likely to be something similar to the trigger pulse system used for motion control systems using Kuper control protocols, but this is something one would need to reach out to Sony to determine.
    Copy, and thank you. And agreed. We'll need to present you with the specification before you'll be able to determine whether it's within the hardware capabilities and so forth. And I anticipate it will also require a custom wired cable to complete the solution. But I am, at this stage, glad to see that the O7Q(+) is a likely candidate for this support, as it is perhaps the most fully compatible F35 field recorder outside of the Codex and SRW-1.
    James Houk, DoP
    Sony F35
    Sony PXW-FS7
    Arri Ultra Prime Set

www.binarydreams.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Viddovation View Post
    Copy, and thank you. And agreed. We'll need to present you with the specification before you'll be able to determine whether it's within the hardware capabilities and so forth. And I anticipate it will also require a custom wired cable to complete the solution. But I am, at this stage, glad to see that the O7Q(+) is a likely candidate for this support, as it is perhaps the most fully compatible F35 field recorder outside of the Codex and SRW-1.
    Thanks, and it's only going to get MORE compatible. Just went over the list of upcoming features likely ready during the rest of the summer. We try to have a little something for everyone, including F35 owners. The few, the proud.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Thanks, and it's only going to get MORE compatible. Just went over the list of upcoming features likely ready during the rest of the summer. We try to have a little something for everyone, including F35 owners. The few, the proud.
    Good to know. I've been told there are only 211 F35's in the wild, although that source was less confident about whether that included F23 conversions. I haven't gotten a number on how many F23s there are. Perhaps we can get the F23 added to this forum?

...As I now own an A7S, an F35, an F23, and an FS7, the O7Q+ is tempting, but I'm also enticed by the very low pricing I've been offered on a Codex that would dock to the F23/F35 and do the ramping features. Ugh. Too many toys!
    James Houk, DoP
    Sony F35
    Sony PXW-FS7
    Arri Ultra Prime Set

www.binarydreams.com

4. Collapse Details
    So... I've got this solved. And the answer is good news: Even without directly connecting the camera to the recorder, it should easy to make a simple cable with switch that will control the camera fan noise and tall lights.

I reviewed the F23/F35 service manual wiring diagrams and then consulted a document on the standard Arri film camera pin out for 24VDC on a Fisher 3 pin connector. After review, I tested on my F35. The F35 essentially uses the Arri standard. In typical operation the 3rd pin of the 24VDC port is a momentary toggle switch, that triggers start/stop when a supported recorder is docked. This switch works by shorting the 3rd pin to the ground pin. The attached remote trigger need do nothing but close the circuit.

When the menu item referenced in the original post is set to "Recorder" instead of "Switch" the 3rd pin becomes a pure momentary switch, active only when circuit is closed. In practice, this means the controlling party needs to keep the circuit closed for the duration of the record length. It may be possible to integrate this functionality to be automatic with some recorders, via firmware and a cable connection. However, even without it, it should be possible to make a simple cable that can be triggered separately from the recorder. Ideally, such a cable should have a switch or a latch button instead of a momentary button (you'd have to hold the momentary button for the entire record). Of course, doing this might be a small nuisance, but particularly for the fan noise reduction I think it would be very useful on narrative sets.

Reference document for port:
    http://www.fauer.com/PDF/435pinouts.pdf (On page 2)
    James Houk, DoP
    Sony F35
    Sony PXW-FS7
    Arri Ultra Prime Set

www.binarydreams.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Does the F35/F23 actually spin the fan down completely when recording, or better put, is there a silent mode during VTR operation?
    I had a try of grounding pin 3 on the 24v connector on my F23 and indeed it does trigger record mode, in both VF and tally light but I notice that regardless of the fan mode or service menu "FAN TYPE" the speed doesn't seem to change from what appears to be MIN speed.

Does it just set speed to "MIN" during record if the normal idle state happens to be at higher rate in one of the AUTO modes (i.e. in a hot environment where the fans have ramped up?)
    I've never seen my camera enter a higher fan state than MIN speed, when in AUTO1 or 2, but it hasn't been that hot around here.
    Does the camera need to be powered via the 3P Lemo connector for anything to happen?

I can't say I'm a fan of the sound of the fans even at minimum level!
    F23_Triggered2.jpg F23_Screen2.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Minimum is all their is even with srw1 and Leno... tested it. Camera is not loud. Clean your fans if you haven’t. Can you post picture of pins you grounded?

Does this tally light hack trigger record via SDI?
    Last edited by rbirnbaum; 07-01-2019 at 03:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    Minimum is all their is even with srw1 and Leno... tested it. Camera is not loud. Clean your fans if you haven’t. Can you post picture of pins you grounded?

Does this tally light hack trigger record via SDI?
    rbirnbaum - my fans are slightly loud on the SRW1 even at idle, are they not suppose to sound like a jet landing? lol.. my camera is only loud upon boot up and then its fairly quiet.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

8. Collapse Details
    Srw1 is louder than I would like to, but workable. Yes, the blast when it starts is to get residue out of the system in case dust is trapped. I don’t have any complaints about the camera on operation. Never had an audio guy complain.

9. Collapse Details
    Many thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at those fans! Perhaps they're just a bit tired.
    I'm almost certain the SDI trigger will work when set to do so on camera. I'll test that out asap.
    Would imagine it will work with SR-R1 and atomos recorders that support sony type trigger over SDI.
    Limited uses for me though if it means using monitor out feed for record.

Pins were pin 3 (bottom most) on fischer 24v connector, and pin 5 I believe on Ext IO, which is GND.
    You can also use the 24v GND if you had a proper connector wired.
    It's all in the service manual, volume I.
    I would be tempted to create my own run/stop cable based on this with a flick switch of some kind.
    Last edited by helweg; 07-01-2019 at 05:56 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by helweg View Post
    Many thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at those fans! Perhaps they're just a bit tired.
    I'm almost certain the SDI trigger will work when set to do so on camera. I'll test that out asap.
    Would imagine it will work with SR-R1 and atomos recorders that support sony type trigger over SDI.
    Limited uses for me though if it means using monitor out feed for record.

Pins were pin 3 (bottom most) on fischer 24v connector, and pin 5 I believe on Ext IO, which is GND.
    You can also use the 24v GND if you had a proper connector wired.
    It's all in the service manual, volume I.
    I would be tempted to create my own run/stop cable based on this with a flick switch of some kind.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast