Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I bought the f3 in 2015 for a very good price. In terms of specs its the cheapest and one of the best bodies on the market if you want 10bit 4:2:2, at an native iso of 800 with over 13 stops of dr. Because of ND and xlr you can shoot with it as is. But after a while you might want a viewfinder and a baseplate for handheld work.

Iso 6400 looks good especially in prores. The colours are much more pleasing than I have seen in any other sony camera except f35.

so for 1080p and the price I think its a very good contender.

2. Collapse Details
    stokstad, do you mind me asking what was your "very good price"? $2k?

3. Collapse Details
    Pair it with an Odyssey 7Q or a PIX-E5 and the F3 is just about the best bang for buck camera in the world right now. 800 ISO, 10-bit 1080p 4:2:2 at up to 60fps and 4:4:4 up to 30fps. 13.5 stops of DR, with excellent highlight rolloff. Terrific high ISO capabilities and a really sharp, resolute 1080p image.

It's a terrific camera in an ergonomically-challenged body. But if you can pair it with Element Technica's F3 Body Armour, that changes and the camera becomes much easier to work with. I'm yet to get much with my F5 that I find much better than what I could achieve with the F3.

Highly recommended for the price.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Pair it with an Odyssey 7Q or a PIX-E5 and the F3 is just about the best bang for buck camera in the world right now.
    Add a nice 3rd party EVF, such as the Zacuto Z-finder, and I totally agree.

5. Collapse Details
    I got it with body armour and tilta baseplate aswell as nikon adapter and SxS SD adapter for around $2,5k. In sweden though.

in the states Im not sure what would be a good price.

6. Collapse Details
    We upgraded from an F3 to an FS7 primarily to get 4k and High Frame Rates. However, at the prices that F3's are going for, we decided not to sell ours. It's more valuable to us as a second camera than what we could get for it.

If you don't need 4k or high frame rates, the F3 is an exceptional camera.
    Christopher Allain
    Vidox Motion Imagery
    www.vidox.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Well... it is more than that! Literally, *more*... the extra weight vs the FS100 is one of my bigger concerns. Uncertain how usable going handheld or with a monopod a F3 is.

Not so much of a nuisance if you'd be using an extra monitor anyway (which doubles as a recorder, such as the BMD VA), which is likely giving the awkward placement of the onboard monitor and EVF.
    I'm thinking the F3 price will keep dropping but it's still a solid camera. It's basically an EX3 kicked up a notch or two as it only does 35mbs but for so many of us, that's plenty. When you consider how much they cost a few years ago, they are a bargain now.
    The AF100 is a nice camera as well and you can buy them by the pound. So if price is driving, might be a good choice. The funky chip size has always been problematic for me. Makes lensing kind of tough.
    And while the AF100 is much lighter, in hand held mode it's got the VF in the back which is just a pain.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm holding on to my F3L. I thought about selling it and upgrading to the FS7, but held off for several reasons.

For starters I think I would only get $3000-4000 for the camera (very low hours). I don't need 4k or high speed and the jump in IQ is marginal.

Overall the IQ is still very competitive, but you need an external recorder to get the most out of it. (Hyperdeck Shuttle-2, Atoms or Qdyssey). The Hyperdeck Shuttle-2 will get you uncompressed slog 422 for little money.

If you can get a clean used F3 for a good price, the IQ is hard to beat. Even better if it has the full slog option.

https://vimeo.com/118928522

PRO

- Image quality is competitive with FS7/F5 @ HD
    - Low light monster. 3200 is totally useable.
    - Nice highlight roll-off
    - 13.5 stops of range
    - Accurate colors
    - Sturdy FZ-Mount is much stronger than the E-mount on the FS7. Takes heavy PL-mount adapter and lenses without a problem.
    - Built in ND filters
    - Dead silent
    - Connectivity (SDI in/out, HDMI, XLR audio etc)
    - Reliable workhorse. A professional piece of gear from the electronics to the sophistication of the color science and firmware. I'd trust my F3 over any BM or RED any day.

CON
    - Ergonomics. Imagine a Handycam and broadcast camera had an affair...
    - The rear EVF is mediocre, but better than nothing on a sunny day.
    - No RAW (uncompressed slog 10bit RGB444) so color temp etc is baked in.
    - 60fps max
    - The Sony look (tm)
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 06-26-2015 at 09:46 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    AF100 image quality pales compared to F3. It's basically a glorified DSLR .

10. Collapse Details
    If you can make money from it, any camera is worth it.
    Dennis Hingsberg

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast