Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is a Sony F3 worthwhile buying in 2015??
    Does a Sony F3 still make sense to people in 2015? Because have you seen on eBay lately just how cheap they're going? :-o You can pick up a Sony F3 for similar pricing to a new BMCC.

The expensive SxS media puts me off, but this appears to be an easy way to avoid that expense:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_for_SxS.html

For the only extra grand or so over the cost of an AF100 or FS100 it would seem like an F3 is worth it if you're looking for an older large sensor camcorder on the ultra cheap.

(as I've been seriously looking into getting an AF100 for only a grand, just so I can have an "impressive" pro looking camera to impress the brides/guests and wedding shoots, with the rest of my kit being 1x GH4 + 1x GH2 + 2x GH1. I know images is all that should matter, and appearances shouldn't matter, but in real life first impressions do matter. If a few extra hundred dollars to get an AF100 over GH2 with the same image quality, then leads to more bookings, that it is money very well spent. But then this logic dangerously leads me down the path to spend even more on a Sony F3... as then I could use the F3 on serious jobs too)

For context, I also own a kitted out BMPCC (that I love love) but it can look like a glorified smartphone to some people :-/ (until they see the images produced! But again, first impressions do matter and last)
    Last edited by IronFilm; 06-25-2015 at 08:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    If weddings are your core buissnes I would get a canon c100 mk2. It's a solid camera better at lowlight than the sonys gives you a 1080 60p and has great face detect AF.

3. Collapse Details
    Nah, I'm avoiding Canon thanks. And this wouldn't be for my A camera, as my A camera in this situation is a Panasonic GH4.

What I'm seeking is an additional "window dressing" camera for show ;-) Which is a "cheap" (i.e. older) large sensor camcorders (with interchangeable lenses). As at least then it can double purpose as an additional tool in my toolbox for a few jobs other than weddings, and I can get nice usable footage from it from weddings in its "C camera" capacity too. (unlike say a DVX100, which arguably could serve the same purpose of a "window dressing" camera for show, but I wouldn't want to use even one second of footage out of that)

I thought this limited to me to going after either a Sony FS100 or Panasonic AF100 on eBay (or maybe if I get very very lucky, an amazing deal on a used Sony FS700. Am ignoring C100/C300 here for now, though if I came across a flat out ridiculous deal on one I would go for it).

But then I saw the prices of a Sony F3! Looks like they're ultra tempting at these low prices.

4. Collapse Details
    If you consider the F3 to be an FS100 with ND then it is worth it.

If you want a fatter codec a recorder is an embuggerance and you might be better with a BMCC

S

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    If you consider the F3 to be an FS100 with ND then it is worth it.
    Well... it is more than that! Literally, *more*... the extra weight vs the FS100 is one of my bigger concerns. Uncertain how usable going handheld or with a monopod a F3 is.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    If you want a fatter codec a recorder is an embuggerance and you might be better with a BMCC
    Not so much of a nuisance if you'd be using an extra monitor anyway (which doubles as a recorder, such as the BMD VA), which is likely giving the awkward placement of the onboard monitor and EVF.

6. Collapse Details
    It's relevant if it's for good money.
    FS7 & other

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I'm biased because I have one for sale. However IMHO it is hands down the best deal in a used video camera these days.
    It is a way better camera than an FS100 or especially an AF100 and most people i know preferred the picture to a C300. It is more debatable with an FS700 but I think it still was a superior picture and so did my friend who owned the FS700. It handled highlights better. . Its phenomenal in low light equal to a Canon C300 or FS700 and nearly the same as an FS7 . Faster than an F55. Perfectly clean at 3200 ISO (12 db).

For most purposes the 8 bit codec is fine, but If you invest in a Samurai or Shogun you can shoot Slog and get a fantastic picture for a very very low price. You can buy an original Samurai dirt cheap as well under $400 . You can shoot with PL glass or get an adapter for Nikon or Canon.

The downsides are - its a little heavier and you need to buy a 3rd part EVF for exteriors. I used an Alfatron and you can buy a used one for under $1K now and I was happily mounting mine with a mafer clamp and a stud. A Zacutio is cheaper .. So for under $3500 K you have a phenomenal camera and be shooting Log. Do I prefer the FS7 - yes but its more than $3.5K.

If you don't care about Log, all you need is the EVF.

I used it handheld with a monopod and was fine , but it is heavier than the other cameras. It was never a problem for me though . Other people built one rig or another just like they do with all the other cameras.

I'm curious about whether using LUTCalc you could shoot Slog on an F3 then apply a LUT to change it to SLOG3, then apply a second LUT to apply the much praised Alexa look with LC709Type A. I'll bet it would work.

AF100 by comparison > frankly POS IMHO.

Lenny
    Last edited by Lenilenapi; 06-26-2015 at 12:09 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    EVF is rather pricey.... more than half as much the camera itself! I am thinking I could get by with a Blackmagic Video Assist's FHD screen (which doubles as a 10bit recorder too! :-D ) with a sun shade?

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Maybe, I only know what I bought 4 years ago so there may be other choices. My point was only that an EVF of some kind is desirable for exteriors. I know people who have shot with the rear eyepiece and that will work but its not great (same as an EX-1) . The Zacuto as I rte call was more like $600 new but that's off the top of my head.

For all large sensor camera I chose to shoot with a TV Logic 5.6" mounted on the camera's hot shoe instead of an EVF, but that's just the way I like to work. There are cheaper monitors and more expensive and some people don't use them at all. Nowadays I keep a 7" Odyssey 7Q+ on my FS7 whenever I can.

If you're interested - I'm selling a great FS7 as well as a Samurai and probably the Alfatron as well ( though I hate to let go of it) . Also have the MTF Nikon > F3 adapter and a ton of great Nikon lenses. I reluctantly switched to Canon for my FS7.

Frankly I am astonished at how much the price dropped on the F3 but I guess its because other cameras just took its place. The FS7 is only marginally better looking in 709. I can get a fairly good match with the FS7 and so am always considering just holding on to it but I rarely shoot multi camera.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Maybe, I only know what I bought 4 years ago so there may be other choices. That BM video assist looks pretty cool! My point was only that an EVF of some kind is desirable for exteriors. I know people who have shot with the rear eyepiece and that will work but its not great (same as an EX-1) Could get you through until the Video assist becomes available . The Zacuto as I recall was more like $600 new but that's off the top of my head.

For all large sensor camera I chose to shoot with a TV Logic 5.6" mounted on the camera's hot shoe instead of an EVF, but that's just the way I like to work. There are cheaper monitors and more expensive and some people don't use them at all. Nowadays I keep a 7" Odyssey 7Q+ on my FS7 whenever I can.

If you're interested - I'm selling a great FS7 as well as a Samurai and probably the Alfatron as well ( though I hate to let go of it) . Also have the MTF Nikon > F3 adapter and a ton of great Nikon lenses. I reluctantly switched to Canon for my FS7.

Frankly I am astonished at how much the price dropped on the F3 but I guess its because other cameras just took its place. The FS7 is only marginally better looking in 709. I can get a fairly good match with the FS7 and so am always considering just holding on to it but I rarely shoot multi camera.

Lenny

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast