Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    i had a hard time watching this short. maybe it was supposed to look completely ametuer as an esthetic but the micro jitters annoyed me from the get go. there are "good" shakes and there are "bad" shakes. this was bad. the audio was the only thing decent. i didnt find anything entertaining about the dialogue in the least. to each their own but this was not for me in any way shape or form.

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Well, I liked it, so shoot me. SPOILER ALERT (don't read beyond this if you care about the spoiler!!) But I thought it was funny right up to the moment when the phone rang and it was revealed that he was basically talking to himself... I thought it asked just a bit too much in the plausibility department - made it look like a "movie idea", not something real. And then they went and guilded the lily with the keys and the the dropped call again. Too much. It's like they couldn't resist. It would've worked for me a million times better if they didn't try for the "twist" and had a more interesting resolution - because the music was perfect, just exactly the kind of feeling you'd get from a breakout original like something that would've been shot by a rebel filmmaker in France back in the 60's, and these cutesy twists don't belong, but instead make the film more shallow. Seriously, the twists make it shallow. It could've been much more subtle and deeper. Pity.

And agreed the actor was great for this. Parenthetically, I was impressed by the battery life of his phone (I say this as someone whose iPhone has inexplicably poor battery life these past few weeks). All IMHO, YMMV.

3. Collapse Details
    Loved it! A lot of fun. Low time commitment to watch, but fun enough payoff. Relatable.

From a film making standpoint, i dislike jumping pov when hand held, unless it is the “Office” or “24”, where they are mimicing the documentary crew look. But in general, as a viewer, i am thrown off by handheld jumping perspective like that.

Handheld makes me think it is “real” and in the moment, so as long as the camera is one perspective, it can jump cut and or whatever, but as soon as it goes from behind the action, to all of a sudden in front of the action, i am taken out of it.

Similar to seeing lens flares in deep space. Like, as if there is a camera operator floating in deep space getting that wide establishing on an Angenieux zoom kicking up some gnar-gnar lens flares. Am i right?! ...am i right... am i... ahem.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-25-2019 at 02:15 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12