Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HELP! :( Every time I pan (or use slider) the video STUTTERS. How do I fix?
    I've tried shooting in 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps and no matter how slow or fast I pan, the video stutters while it pans. I've shot at up to 500 shutter speed to see if that fixes and nothing.

Is this just what cheaper cameras do? Would 60fps S&Q fix it maybe?

2. Collapse Details
    Are you playing back in-camera or on a computer?
    Trotter G

3. Collapse Details
    On the computer. I've rendered it and still does it. These are going to be uploaded to youtube once finished. I've tried searching around, seems like there is no solution?

Is this common for digital cameras or just lower end digital cameras?

4. Collapse Details
    It could be a number of things. Is it stuttering on movement or is it dropping frames? What kind of media are you using to record? What NLE/computer are you using? It could be that your computer is having a hard time playing back the files. I can't really tell from here. I know this is an FS100 forum but I guess I should ask: what camera are you using? Oh, and does it stutter on playback in the camera?
    Last edited by Trotter G; 06-23-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added one thing
    Trotter G

5. Collapse Details
    I'm panning with a slider on inanimate objects. It plays that way on camera, in VLC, and in Adobe Premiere. I have a pretty good computer that can handle large video files and after I render into smaller files it does the same thing

6. Collapse Details
    I've just seen a few blog posts about what they call "judder" on the FS100. One of them in Europe says he records at 50p and renders to a 25p or 25i timeline. If you're in the US you could try 60p>30p or 24p and see if that helps at all. That is weird though. Some other suggestions were that the image was too sharp--thereby increasing the perception of "judder"--so they changed some settings to reduce the effect. These are difficult things to diagnose without seeing footage though.
    Trotter G

7. Collapse Details
    any chance theres an image stabilization setting left on when it should be off (should be off any time youre NOT handheld, btw)? many cams with IS engaged think your pan/slider move is the camera shaking and try to "correct" it. just a thought.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    any chance theres an image stabilization setting left on when it should be off (should be off any time youre NOT handheld, btw)? many cams with IS engaged think your pan/slider move is the camera shaking and try to "correct" it. just a thought.
    This was my first thought also. IS can do weird things when it gets confused on stable moves.
    Frame Farm Media
    www.framefarmmedia.com

9. Collapse Details
    Increasing the shutter speed will make the judder worse.
    Any sharpening or overly sharp settings will make it worse too.

Try using 1/40 for a shutter speed. That will smooth it out, but it 'might' add too much blur in some cases with lots of action. For inanimate objects it should be totally fine. You might even be able to use a slower shutter speed than that.
    Shutter speed really should not be more than twice your frame rate for smooth pans.

Obviously you have to remember the rules of panning speed and make sure you are not panning too fast. Panning too fast will always result in judder too.

And last - the image stabilization 'gotcha'. Make sure that stuff is OFF.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

10. Collapse Details
    you know your 'panning tables' - simply move stuff throught the frame in less than 7 seconds and you get stutter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast