1. Collapse Details
    HMC150 Broken LCD Hinge?
    So my LCD screen pretty much stopped working all of a sudden. You can just barely make out a washed out image, but essentially the screen is unusable. I've been told by a repair technician that it is probably the hinge that is broken, and it will cost around $450 to fix/replace. This is too expensive for me to afford right now, does anyone know if this is a job that I could do on my own?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    It's a pretty easy job if you don't mind tearing the camera open. You're basically removing the bottom panel and the left panel. You remove the LCD panel from the inside (two screws hold on the plastic cover over the hinge and two screws hold on the display itself).

Now here's where things get sketchy. You don't really know if it's the board behind the LCD or the ribbon cable. Generally with a washed out image it's the board. The problem is the board is prohibitively expensive by itself as is the cable/ hinge. Neither are really worth buying unless you're going to keep the camera for awhile. That said, there's a workaround.

The displays in the HVX200, HMC150, DVX100B (must be a B) and the HPX170 are all the same as are the hinges/ ribbon cables. So instead of buying parts to throw at the camera you might just consider scouting out a cheap DVX100B and using that as a donor. When you're done you'll still have a working DVX100B without a side display that you can sell.