Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Not to go back and forth with you but i assure you the F23 is more than a "glorified F900" and it for sure has between 13-15 stops in slog and other custom gammas like cineon. Sony themself marketed it at "13". Yes the field of view and color bit depth is better on a 35, but you need to give a little more credit to the 23 as its basicly a 16mm version of the F35...
    I know you're excited about the camera and I'm sure it's wonderful, but Sony made sure to separate its DR from the F35.

IIRC, the claimed DR was around 11 or 12 stops. And it's just that: claimed. And "over" could mean 12.1 or 12.2 in any lab study, and definitely not meaning 13-14-15 stops.

IMO, there is no way on earth this camera is/was around 13-15 stops, and it's barely 11 stops (again, IMO). Camera companies have always been generous with their own testing/results.

Here's also a thread with some more info (including a test/article) about the F23 if you haven't seen it: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...4-Sony-F23-FAQ

Again, I'm sure the pictures are beautiful and I don't want to be a downer, but as a professional it's good for you to understand and keep in mind real world numbers and technical accuracy.

Panavision_Sony.jpg_Sony.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Alfonso Parra rated it in his own tests pretty conservatively, around 10 or 11 I think, but he also mentions that DR and noise floor are subjective, which I agree with.
    Sophisticated denoising certainly wasn't as accessible back when it came out.
    I've quite enjoyed shooting stuff with the F23 recently, kind of like a 16mm version of the F35.
    There's still a lot to be said about a global shutter and the colour purity of 3 RGB ccds in 4:4:4 RGB.
    Last edited by helweg; 09-11-2019 at 07:22 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm sorry but the F23 is very much so more sensitive than 11 stops if set up properly. It may be at 11-12 with S Log, fine... but Light Illusions work on their Cineon curve made the camera a hell of a lot more sensitive with a tad more noise but nothing to get upset about. I'm not sticking my neck out on the cutting block saying the 23 is better than the 35.. this is not a pissing contest... im just saying that the 23 has more DR than an F900 or traditional ENG body with the same size sensor.. the camera was not built to broadcast standards and was made for film... the color gamut is wider.. the CCD prism itself is wider in size than a normal 3CCD prism array... You have to also understand that the initial research and tests done with this camera was when most people were still limited to how the images could be manipulated in post.... Post and color tech has come a long way since 2007.. I promise you, you light correctly, expose correctly, use the correct gamma curve.. you will easily get more than 12 stops out of the camera...
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by helweg View Post
    I've quite enjoyed shooting stuff with the F23 recently, kind of like a 16mm version of the F-35.
    There's still a lot to be said about a global shutter and 3 RGB ccds.
    CCD FOR LIFE (or until I can afford an Alexa :b). All things being equal, Sony really did hit a homerun with the F23 and F35.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567