Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I really dont want to build it myself and if I have problems I'll still need someone to fix it. These guys give me a 3 year warranty and they are pretty trustworthy. It's not so much the price but the set-up and quality of the components for upgrading later on. What do people think of the second option - or is this really an expensive deal.

2. Collapse Details
    Hi

Couple of points. I have video and audio workstations built here in LA for between $100 and $150 labor. I oversee it but that's the head tech at a facility that builds lots of machines. Clean wire runs and lots of knowledge. Everything is burned in as well. These are big machines with lots of hardware.

Your choices are good, I guess - but then you don't say what you want to do with the machine. That's why you are getting different opinions. People are assuming different purposes for your machine. Are you doing short stuff, long stuff, 4K, color correcting? What software are you intending to run? All these things and many others make a difference. If you just want to try everything that's great to, but let the forum know. It would be a shame for you to get good advice for something that is not your issue and bad for you.

Best of luck to you

3. Collapse Details
    I shoot and edit video up to and including 4K. I shoot and edit promos, TVC's and short docos. I run Premiere CC and do a little aftereffects for colour grading. What I want my machine to do optimally is be able to edit 4K natively while also adding effects to the timeline. I need lots of RAM and storage and grunt to run the beast.

4. Collapse Details
    Consider installing Blu-ray writer and a hot swap drive bay if you move a lot of footage. 25GB Blu-ray M-discs are a decent low cost solution for permanent archival storage. Hot swap drive bay is very useful to me for managing projects and backups with high data load formats like 4k or raw.

5. Collapse Details
    I think they are really over charging you on this build. I just bought my new computer set up for $2300 out the door with a 6 core and a Titan X GPU to run it all

6. Collapse Details
    Darktide, any chance you could send specs - would be good to base mine on a recent build

7. Collapse Details
    good idea Razz - are a lot of production houses archiving to Blu Ray ?
    Can I ask why you wouldn't just archive to an external HD ?

8. Collapse Details
    Hi

I think the key for you is whether you can fit the files you are working on onto SSD drives. If so working with 4K that's the way to go.
    The ram will help After Effects.

Question: You color grade. Do you need 10 bit color? If so then you go with a Quadro GPU.

With 4K you might also want to consider the x99 Intel chipset for it's bandwidth and other advantages for you.

I build video and audio workstations in LA. Email me if you want to chat.

9. Collapse Details
    Mine is the following but keep in mind that I will be upgrading the ram very soon as well and built this for upgrading in the next few years

Asus X99 A Motherboard
    Titan X GPU
    Intel i7 5820k 6 Core
    16gb DDR4 Ram
    850 Watt Power
    Case
    128gb SSD (Just for software, I will be doing a full 24tb Raid Based Drive inside for editing)
    CPU Cooler

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by malibudutchie View Post
    good idea Razz - are a lot of production houses archiving to Blu Ray ?
    Can I ask why you wouldn't just archive to an external HD ?
    I keep active projects on hard drives, but the M-discs are truly permanent, hard drives don't stand long term storage well and any magnetic or ram based media will degrade in just a few years. M-discs are mineral based, the data is literally burned in stone. Absent external physical damage to the disc it is good for centuries. I only use them for the very small percentage of footage I want to keep permanently. LTO tapes are supposed to be good for a few decades, but the machines to record them are very expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast