1. Collapse Details
    Sony FS100 - Recording Time Not Displayed On LCD - Timecode Issue?
    Hi there

I am the owner/operator of a Sony FS100 which works like a charm and continues to give me great pictures. I use Picture Profiles and know my way around the camera pretty well by now.

On my last two shoots it became apparent that the timecode display on the LCD was simply sitting at zero throughout my recordings meaning I was unable to tell how long I had been recording. I use a NEX-5n and a RX100 as my B roll cameras and am used to monitoring how long each shot is running for as I like to film a lot of wallpaper style shots for an exact duration. I never noticed it consciously, but I had always assumed the FS100 also displayed the recording time of each shot, but now I cannot remember for sure prior to my last two shoots.

I have never had to use any of the timecode features in the camera - it is set to REC RUN and PRESET - so I have never had any need to use the TC/U-BIT button, which I always previously ignored. No matter what timecode settings I choose the timecode display either shows 00 00 00 00 or else starts counting up from 00:00:00:00 if I switch between the modes using the TC/U-BIT button, which is no better as it doesn't reset to zero between shots.

Is this the way it has always been and I have never noticed before? Or I am missing something obvious? Or are my timecode settings wrong?

The camera is working perfectly in every other way, and quite frankly it is the main source of my livelihood, which is very difficult at the moment, and I doubt I could afford to send it off to Sony just to check this single setting. Although it really is a burden as I am in the process of collecting stock footage and really need to know how long each shot is recording for each time.

If anyone could provide me with some assistance, I would be genuinely grateful. I am happy to provide pics if any of what I have said is unclear.

2. Collapse Details
    A very boring question I know, but please if someone can let me know I will send good karma your way. Surely SOMEONE else is interested in knowing how long the clip they are recording is!

3. Collapse Details
    Good news. Nothing wrong with it! But it will only run time code continuously - either resuming on record or free running.

The only way I imagine you can make it work the way you want to is to manually reset the TC after every shot, making sure TC MAKE is set to PRESET.
    Alternatively, you'll have to continue mentally adding the clip rec. time over the existing, running time code.

You can of course review each shot's duration (in seconds) in the corner of the visual index as well. Not that it helps when recording, but it's there at least.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Geoff

Thanks for your input. Aside from the workaround you mentioned, I don't think it is possible. I am so used to seeing the live recording length of clips on smaller cameras that I assumed the FS100 did the same. It obviously never did, and that is a bit of a shame as there is no way to assess the recording time of shots except with a stopwatch or a workaround.

Anyway, I appreciate you getting in touch.