1. Collapse Details
    Anyone here have an Atomos Shogun and the Sony FDR-AX100?
    If you have this combination, can you confirm whether the AX100 can output an uncompressed clean 4K UHD signal to the Atomos Shogun external 4K recorder? If so, can you confirm whether it's 8-bit 4:2:2 or 8-bit 4:2:0?

2. Collapse Details
    I have a Shogun and should have access to an AX100 in about a week. I'll likely forget, but if you send me a PM to remind me then I should be able to check.

3. Collapse Details
    Have either of you discovered if this is possible? Also, I have been led to believe that the AX100 HDMI output is turned off when the camcorder itself is recording...

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The AX100 outputs a clean uncompressed 4K output through HDMI that's 4:2:2 and 8bit, and you can record that signal to the Shogun. However, as soon as you press record on the camera body itself, the shogun screen turns to grey.

So yes it does output a clean recordable 8bit 4:2:2 4K signal but just doesn't record internally at the same time.

It's not really a problem just remember to press record on the shogun unit itself.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Oh and for those concerned this would not allow usage of external monitors whilst shooting internally on the AX100, don't be, it can output an HD signal while recording 4K internally, just not 4K. The HD signal is perfectly clear and sharp for monitoring purposes.

6. Collapse Details
    I've go AX100 and Atomos Shogun. However I can only get 1080p 50fps out of the AX100 external HDMI, even when it is set to record 4k. I am set to 100Mbps. Any ideas why not 4k external?

7. Collapse Details
    Check your HDMI cable, HDMI output settings (auto vs. manual), and resolution/framerates. And any firmware updates (Sony and/or Atomos).

One or all of the above should fix your problem.

8. Collapse Details
    I have an AX100 and works correctly with my Ninja V.