Why do you need to go from H264 to ProRes? Can't you just recode from H265 to H264 and then edit that? With modern editing software you're not going to have any improvements in terms of color depth and such, and I thought a half-decent current workstation would be enough to work with 4K H464.
Results 11 to 20 of 79
05-25-2015 06:34 AM
05-25-2015 09:59 AM
- Join Date
- Jan 2011
Well, my macbook pro retina really struggles in DaVinci with 4k h264, even when working on an HD timeline or with proxy enabled.
As I said, converting to prores may add another step to this workflow, but FCPX does it very quickly and my machine works faster when editing and grading. Overall it works for me.
I'm sure that a beefier computer can handle 4k H264 much better at all stages, but I'm waiting to upgrade my system.
Now I'm just investing in lenses, gymbal and lights lights lights
05-25-2015 10:03 AM
I completely agree with diegocervo. The Rm transcode to h264, then to prores has rendered my footage very clean and artifact free. Actually cleaner than my old a7s footage. Going directly to prores has given me artifacts almost every time. to sure why, but I avoid that at all cost.
05-25-2015 08:28 PM
Very thanks for the review.
I have some questions if possible:
1. Overall in internal recording, at 1.20 firm, the C4K were softer than UHD mode. In the still from DPReview of video on charts this is very visible, and commented in other places. This change in 1.30?
2. What framerates support in C4K and UHD over HDMI output. I read somewere that only works 30fps but not the others.
3. Sometimes you test the sharpening at 0 and others at -10, but aparently even at -10 it shows artifacts, but its not clear to me.
4. Can you post somewhere the original files from camera and the Odyssey to inspect?
Im very grateful and confident of your review, I espect this type on info to finally buy one.
As a side note, I created a community open document to summarize the bugs and other stuff that dont work where people suggest and complete for a request: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pw...J6o&authuser=0
05-26-2015 10:44 PM
1. Overall in internal recording, at 1.20 firm, the C4K were softer than UHD mode. In the still from DPReview of video on charts this is very visible, and commented in other places. This change in 1.30? On 1.30 the detail resolved is pretty much the same. I did look carefully about this and they seem to deliver the same image. The 4K might be an upresized UHD though, as I see some artifacts that could be product of a quick upscale.
2. What framerates support in C4K and UHD over HDMI output. I read somewere that only works 30fps but not the others. In NTSC I only got 30p (fm 1.20), in PAL you get 25fps. I haven't tested fm1.3
3. Sometimes you test the sharpening at 0 and others at -10, but aparently even at -10 it shows artifacts, but its not clear to me. Correct. I left sharpening all the way down as I did more and more testing. It's the biggest downside of this camera. They should switch it off.
4. Can you post somewhere the original files from camera and the Odyssey to inspect? I'm afraid they're too big, sorry.
05-27-2015 07:24 PM
here we go!
I was able to downgrade to v1.20 and do a test comparison vs v1.30. Aaaaand there is a clear difference! (v1.20 on top, v1.30 bottom). This was quite a heavy contrast scene.
Shot with the same nikon 14-24 Nikon lens. Same exact settings: UHD 24p, internal recording, DR gamma, sharpen -10, black levels +4. Daylight WB. ISO 200.
The newer v1.30 seems to apply a different kind of sharpening (not sure if more or less, just different, check the STOP sign). BUT most important, the gamma curve has changed (less contrast)!!!
I think the new upgrade might have at least one more stop in the shadows.
05-27-2015 07:34 PM
- Join Date
- Jul 2011
- Chatham, MA
I've used Photon (http://brightland.com/w/photon-manual/) for converting the footage using ProRes Mode 2, love the results. What I think is being understated in this update is the great improvement to 1080p, incredible quality now from it. Still hoping for H265 support in the next premiere update, really want to edit the native files.
Last edited by geffyb; 05-27-2015 at 07:38 PM.
05-28-2015 06:33 AM
Its not good don`t have a 24p HDMI output working from this cam... anyway, this NX1 is clearly a Pandora's Box
05-28-2015 06:47 AM
@macgregor What you thinks about the NX1 vs. GH4. I sold my GH4 for a time, but when I think to repurchase (having a SpeedBooster waiting for it) the NX1 appears so Im hold the purchase. The GH4 is very refined and knowed by me, but apparently the NX1 has better tech in all ways, but the poo pooing current implementation of encoder or the bitrate asigned that manifiest in that blocking artifacts in every pseudo plain surface or low light zone.
P.D.: sorry for my english.