Thread: Jvc ls300

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle View Post
    but some of the more recent clips I have seen look much better - possibly due to better understanding of the camera's settings by the operators.
    You are absolutely right. For example, there's a color picker to shift the white balance, both in AWB and auto: no one has tried it, yet. The shifter could be useful: every time you perform a new white balance you preserve the shifting. There is a wide dynamic range (WDR) setting: I have never tried it and I have not seen any clip with this setting. If you have a scene with a lot of dark areas you can lower the gamma value to get a better discrimination, but highlights go worst. On the other side, if you have a lot of highlights you can increase the gamma valulue, but dark areas go worst: never tried. All the clips you see is by people that, like me, have shooted mainly with factory settings to test the camera and the lack of scene files doesn't help. Probably, in the next months, we will see a lot of suggested settings on the web.

Anyway, this is a frame with factory settings (I've posted it in another thread, also). The lens is an excellent zuiko 14-35mm f2 and VSM is 86% (so the sensor is remapped, larger than in m43 because the lens produces a bigger circle than others m43 lenses)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evahlifkdy...7s200.png?dl=0

Even in factory settings this is not a video look, in my opinion. Rather it is a digital photo look.

Another thing: when you mount a lens that produces a smaller circle than S35 you can decide the right remapping with an utility: you can measure the light in the center and in the angles, so you can be sure that there isn't any vignetting. VSM for m43 lenses normally is 80%, but some lenses have a bigger circle and perform well with 86% and with this VSM value there is not any oversampling

To rent the camera is a good idea: I've bought it after I've tried for 2 days

Regards

Gary

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    That camera has a very video type look to it, and poor highlight handling, IMHO.
    I want to like this camera, but from nearly every example of footage I've seen I'd have to agree.
    Care to provide a download link to the original footage you used to make these evaluations? Not to dispute your personal tastes, but let's be frank about what we're basing our judgments on.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Senda View Post
    Anyway, this is a frame with factory settings (I've posted it in another thread, also). The lens is an excellent zuiko 14-35mm f2 and VSM is 86% (so the sensor is remapped, larger than in m43 because the lens produces a bigger circle than others m43 lenses)

Even in factory settings this is not a video look, in my opinion. Rather it is a digital photo look.
    Thanks for the link, I agree it's a good looking image. The Olympus 14-35mm f2 is one of my favorite lenses as well, for me it's been the saving grace of the AF100 experience. Can you detail for us how well the 14-35mm works with the LS300's automated features? In particular, I'm curious how responsive the on-camera iris and focus controls are, and if the LCD displays focal length and focus distance of the lens like the AF100 does.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpowell View Post
    In particular, I'm curious how responsive the on-camera iris and focus controls are, and if the LCD displays focal length and focus distance of the lens like the AF100 does.
    According the user's manual it displays focal lenght value, zoom position (in bar or number) and focus value (in meters or feet). I have not noticed and sincerely I don't remeber (I remember well I could see the aperture value), but consider I've used the camera with manual focus and manual exposure and with a VSM other than m43 setting (86% instead 80%). Probably the camera performs optimally with m43 lenses only if you use the suggested VSM for m43 lenses. I will try and I will report to you, with lumix lenses also

Regards

Gary

5. Collapse Details
    Not to be a jerk, but no, I would not care to post links to our tests. I stopped doing that some time ago after taking flak from A-holes and receiving nasty PMs for not doing tests their way, or going out of my way to do numerous follow ups with implicit instructions. Besides, folks should conduct their own tests to see if a particular tool meets their own needs. Not the needs of somebody else. I'm not here to bash a camera, or make someone feel bad about their purchase. I just feel this camera is not for me. While I do think it has a "video" look, especially with a sharp modern lens like the Sigma 18-35 or native LUMIX lenses, it did look a little better when mounting older lenses like the Cooke 18-100. And adding a 1/8 or 1/4 HBM filter helped even more. Green screen footage keyed just fine, but I have not had issues keying in a very long time. The filter wheel was very handy outdoors. I know this is an inexpensive camera, but I have grown tired of cameras which feel plasticy, and have nasty highlight clipping artifacts no matter the knee setting. Maybe with future software updates this camera will really shine.

All the best!

Dave

6. Collapse Details
    Nice image. Very sharp. Looks like an image from a digital camera, not filmic, but it has good rich colors. I am intrigued by this camera, but would have like to have a waveform and vectorscope or at least a histogram. I do run with external monitors that have scope outputs , but it is nice to have the tools built in. My take: my experience with JVC through the years has not been stellar and that is what colors my feelings for this camera; I will probably wait for Panasonic's all-in-one version coming out in the Fall or go for the FS7.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Senda View Post
    You are absolutely right. For example, there's a color picker to shift the white balance, both in AWB and auto: no one has tried it, yet. The shifter could be useful: every time you perform a new white balance you preserve the shifting. There is a wide dynamic range (WDR) setting: I have never tried it and I have not seen any clip with this setting. If you have a scene with a lot of dark areas you can lower the gamma value to get a better discrimination, but highlights go worst. On the other side, if you have a lot of highlights you can increase the gamma valulue, but dark areas go worst: never tried. All the clips you see is by people that, like me, have shooted mainly with factory settings to test the camera and the lack of scene files doesn't help. Probably, in the next months, we will see a lot of suggested settings on the web.

Another thing: when you mount a lens that produces a smaller circle than S35 you can decide the right remapping with an utility: you can measure the light in the center and in the angles, so you can be sure that there isn't any vignetting. VSM for m43 lenses normally is 80%, but some lenses have a bigger circle and perform well with 86% and with this VSM value there is not any oversampling

To rent the camera is a good idea: I've bought it after I've tried for 2 days

Regards

Gary

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpowell View Post
    Care to provide a download link to the original footage you used to make these evaluations? Not to dispute your personal tastes, but let's be frank about what we're basing our judgments on.

Some of the earliest footage that appeared online during NAB week was among the worst to my eyes but I did not save any of the links. This more recent one shows what I would call a narrower dynamic range typical of a "video" look with respect to the way highlights appear on sky, bright colored clothing and skin tone:
    https://vimeo.com/127439476

Even well-exposed areas in this video that have high contrast show a really distinct video-looking edge that is not to my personal taste. In comparison, I think the GoPro shots (see around 2:00) show much better than the LS300 under the same conditions... in this particular video.

In just the past couple of days, however, I have done a lot more looking around at recent clips and have come to the conclusion that settings may play a huge role in this sort of look. I've seen a lot of clips just today that seem to exhibit much greater dynamic range and better handling of contrasty scenes.

This clip I found today is definitely getting closer to my ballpark:
    https://youtu.be/6HCqu9ifCog

And by "better" I mean that subjectively to some degree. I know what I like and what I want to get out of a camera - others may feel differently.
    Last edited by Dave Rochelle; 05-21-2015 at 03:30 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    This is some of the best exposed footage I've seen but in several shots to hold the highlights much of the rest of the shot is quite under exposed...I guess they were really guarding against that ... As this Camera does not seem to handle it well...
    Fingerprints very valuable if ...Detective can catch owner of fingers...

C. Chan

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye View Post
    This is some of the best exposed footage I've seen but in several shots to hold the highlights much of the rest of the shot is quite under exposed...I guess they were really guarding against that ... As this Camera does not seem to handle it well...
    Yes - and that's certainly one of the things I've learned to deal with in using the AF100, but would prefer not to have to do to the same extent with a new camera. I'm hopeful that some combination of exposure and gamma lift using the controls the LS300 gives might be useful in protecting highlights without losing shadow detail. Will definitely have to rent one and try it out.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye View Post
    I disagree. If most users here were once AF100 owners, then they knew the DR was piss poor.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast