Thread: Jvc ls300

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    The AF100 was hardly an Arri yet you comment here??
    I guess I'm not smart enought to understand your comment. What does the AF100 not being an ARRI, have to do with me commenting in an AF100 forum?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    Any previous user of the AF1** series bought the JVC?
    Here I am. My AF101 was the first one sold in Italy and I've invested a lot of money in m43 lenses and adapters, so you can imagine my big disappointment when I've understood that was not an AF101 successor on the horizon, at least for the moment.

I have a GH4, also, (and I've owned GH1, GH2 and GH3) but I needed a real video camera, not an HDSRL. LS300 has solved all my problems and, without any doubt, it is a big step over the AF101.

a. definition: the camera has a lot of definition in FHD, also. Much more than AF100. 4k is simply stunning, even with the sensor remapped (and no evident artifacts when remapping in m43)
    b. video noise: pratically absent. It's a pleasure to see deep blacks without noise in night shots, even with high ISO
    c. highlights holding. It holds highlights much better than AF101. There's a slightly cyan color castign in overexposed zones, but you can correct easily and you need 100 IRE to see it. Nothing respect the yellow color casting starting at 80 IRE in the AF101 (I've lost tons of clips before before to understand how to (under)expose the AF101 correctly).
    d. low light performance. It is not an a7s, but it is very good and the image is incredibly ***clean***
    e. focus assist: wonderful. You get always the right manual focus, ***always***, in every condition and even with an f1.2 lens totally open and without any external support
    f. dual slot: you can do a. series recording (with hot swap) b. parallel recording (two cards identical) c. full resolution clips in slot A and proxies in slot B and d. you can record continuosly on slot B regardless the pause

To this you must add: S35 sensor (a very well enginered one, By Altasens), VSM (you can mount EVERY LENS you want), 4:2:2 sampling in FHD and streaming functions (I have not tried yet).

The downside:
    1. it is unbalanced with a serious glass
    2. non battery charger in the package
    3. no waveform, no histogram: only zebras
    4. horrible 0,8" EVF

Finally, about the 'video look'. Sincerely, I don't agree: S35 sensor is surely more cinematic than m43 sensor or m43 cropped sensor (as on GH4 in 4k). On the 'mojo side' the camera is fully configurable (you can change the gamma values also) but no scene files. All the clip that are on YT or Vimeo are with factory settings, video gamma an video color matrix. You can achieve any look you want, but you must play with settings (I'm starting to try in these days).

I've bought one and I'm very satisfied. I've saved all the money I've invested in m43 lens and I can use all my FF lens with a lower crop factor. This is the ideal camera for people (like me) that have a big collection of new and old lenses. This is the first time that I can use all the lenses I have on a single camera. For a little and honest price

Regards

Gary

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Cameras aside, the best meal I ever had was in Bologna. I'd weigh 400 pounds if I lived there Gary.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardalos View Post
    I love the 4K results I get with my Panasonic GH4 so for me, a side by side comparison with the Panasonic GH4 is the kind of test I would like to see on each of the newly released cameras.
    Probably I will perform this test next sunday. I will post some frames

Regards

Gary

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    Cameras aside, the best meal I ever had was in Bologna. I'd weigh 400 pounds if I lived there Gary.
    :-)

If you know Bologna, I think to shoot a 4k video in the center of the city, on sunday. Where the old groceries are located

gastronomia.jpg

If you will get hungry it means that the camera has a good IQ

:-)

Gary

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Senda View Post
    Probably I will perform this test next sunday. I will post some frames

Regards

Gary
    I'll look forward to your test...........thanks.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardalos View Post
    I'll look forward to your test...........thanks.
    I have to think well how to perform them, because in 4k the effective sensor size of GH4 is smaller than on JVC and in 4k you cannot use a VSM smaller than 80%. So it is impossible to have the same angle of view in the same condition in 4k. Only using the zoom or different focal lenchts, but the optical conditions change.

Regards

Gary

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you in advance for your test! I am interested in that camera and the C100 and your test may make my decision for me.

9. Collapse Details
    Gary - I appreciate your observations on this cam and will look forward to more of your thoughts as you further explore & test it. I had been pretty put off by a lot of the early footage I saw from the LS300,
    but some of the more recent clips I have seen look much better - possibly due to better understanding of the camera's settings by the operators. You've helped pique my interest enough that I'll probably at least rent one to get a feel for it myself.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle View Post
    I'll probably at least rent one to get a feel for it myself.
    That is what we did. We split the rental cost between 3 crews which was right at $100 each crew, and we each had it for 2 days. Then I provided all of the lens adapters for the other guys that didn't have any M4/3 stuff.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast