Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The drone community is going to kill drone use
    I'm only a few flights in on my phantom 3, and loving every second of it. Being the diligent fellow that i am, i read over the manual several times, looked at all the tutorials, advice, suggestions, etc.. of the phantom/drone community to get my novice flying self ready to fly

In doing so, i joined the DJI forum.

Wow.

The FAA regulations cannot, i repeat CANNOT come soon enough. Granted there are many well minded flyers who fly responsibly and within the rules, but it's the wingnuts showing off their illegal, unsafe shots which will lead to harsher regulations or even the end of public drone use.

Excuses, entitlement, justifications(but it's pretty!), etc.. etc... Some of these folks seem decent enough, but tell them that they were irresponsible/illegal/ignorant and they just flip the 'i have the right to do what i want with my drone' switch.

Good lord i just needed to get that off my chest in here, the sane forum
    C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
    www.DarrenLevine.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Absolutely!

With the new cheaper than ever drones hitting the market this year will come even more madness.
    especially with products like LILY.
    Its all great engineering to be sure...but people and flying machines can be a dangerous combo.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 05-15-2015 at 08:32 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

3. Collapse Details
    it boggles the mind. people justifying their actions within their own set of standards and not general safety and dare it be mentioned... legality!

had a nice flight today though, a group of kids went bonkers over it, i showed them the gimbal, some video, etc... parents for the most part seemed to like the entertainment, one did ask the loaded question "why does it have a camera". but a simple reply that im a professional videographer and i plan to eventually use it for professional reasons, suited her just fine.

meanwhile, here in NYC theres an investigation of someone flying a drone right next to an apartment building, and just this morning over in DC, some guy flew one over or darn close to the white house.

too many memes will come of this

www.DarrenLevine.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLxGFLpOl0

Now everyone can have a drone ........their own personalised follow you around drone.

5. Collapse Details
    I recently watched footage of an quadcopter flying over L.A. and New York, lovely footage as the drone flew over busy streets but I kept thinking if the quad has a malfunction and does fall out of the sky.

There will be an incident, in the US, someone ill be injured then the legal circus will kick off, eye watering compensation claims and mammoth legal fees. They may even try to sue the drone manufacturer.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

6. Collapse Details
    To be technical the correct nomenclature is multirotor, the word drone is what scares people. They're called multirotors because a pilot controls the craft, drones fly completely autonomous. At least in the film industry they call them that. I'm sure rules will be in place someday but so far they've been kind to the film/entertainment industry. Let's hope it stays that way, happy flying

7. Collapse Details
    There's no such thing as a purely autonomous drone. That would be like saying Skynet is here. Even military drones need a remote operator and the only thing that 's autonmous is the gps waypoint system that can autopilot it to fly a pre-designed route that's inputted by a human. It would be a scary day when drones have the AI to be purely autonomous.
    The term multicopter is what the hobbyist like but its too much of a mouthful for the media when the word drone can pretty much cover anything that is unmanned and remote controlled.

8. Collapse Details
    And now many new multicopters have waypoint flying. draw a flightpath, it flys it on its own.

www.DarrenLevine.com

9. Collapse Details
    They're gonna have different laws for those vehicles that fly out of site, certain altitudes, payload etc. For the multicopter crowd they'll be completely different set of guidelines. Line of site, altitude and location will all have limits, probably even built into the flight controller eventually. But for now enjoy!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
    it boggles the mind. people justifying their actions within their own set of standards and not general safety and dare it be mentioned... legality!
    You haven't noticed this with just about everything these days?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast