Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I've hired two drone operators to shoot the final, drive away into the sunset shot for my feature. First operator had a 1080p camera. The shot was great but not up to par with my 4K footage, so I hired someone with a 4k Phantom. The shot was going well until... well, you just have to see it...

This clip was corrupted when we recovered the drone, which now had a detached wiring harness. Found a service online that repaired the clip for $20.
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    I find them to sound extremely annoying and intrusive. I recommend that they be flown only at model RC club flying fields and on/over your own property or where you have permission of the land owner to fly. I personally fly mine only on my friends 300 acre farm.
    300 acres? where I come from we call that a good start. I can fly over 1.5 miles on my property in a straight line.

None of my neighbors have even heard my P3, let alone seen it...
    Jim Arthurs

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    I find them to sound extremely annoying and intrusive. I recommend that they be flown only at model RC club flying fields and on/over your own property or where you have permission of the land owner to fly. I personally fly mine only on my friends 300 acre farm.
    Meh. How intrusive or annoying a drone is depends HEAVILY on the area. A drone is going to be noticeable at a remote mountain lake... at a rock concert, not so much.

Unfortunately, getting useful footage with these things generally requires that they be out in the world in some way. There's not a lot of interesting footage to be had at an RC flying field... unless you're doing a documentary on model RC flying.

Personally, I find moving a huge production with cameras and tripods and actors and directors into an area to be FAR more intrusive and annoying than a Phantom flying around. I also find a lot of peoples' kids (and a lot of people too!) more annoying than a drone. I, of course, tolerate these things as a necessary part of living in a society with other people. Not sure why drones should be any different.

You have a lot of rights... "not being annoyed" isn't one of them.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Used by professionals on a set then there would be minimal impact on the general public. Used by the masses as they are being marketed then there are many potential problems.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Like I said, there are PLENTY of other things that are both noisier and more intrusive than a drone. Such is life while sharing this planet with others.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Like I said, there are PLENTY of other things that are both noisier and more intrusive than a drone. Such is life while sharing this planet with others.
    Absolutely true, but...you're missing the bigger point. It's not the buzzing that's the issue since real helicopters make a lot more noise, it's that to most people it's non essential buzzing. That DJI Phantom3 is not flying a critically injured person to the hospital or tracking down a violent criminal. The jackhammer down the block is much louder, but since I'll need to drive on that street and use the water from the line they're fixing I'm not really going to get too annoyed. Such is life while sharing this planet. However, if my neighbor took up recreational jackhammering as a hobby, then yeah I'd be annoyed after a while. Add in the natural tendency to not like being spied on (i know, nobody's spying but average people still get that feeling regardless), and you can see why people start to dislike drones.
    Remember those little motorcycles that were like a foot tall that you could ride around on from like ten years ago? They were really popular and now they're gone due mostly to being regulated away. People started to get annoyed by them and there was a little bit of a safety concern so then the laws (many of which were already on the books) started to make it not so much fun to ride with constantly getting ticketed by the cops. So many tickets and laws and the makers couldn't even sell them anymore. That could easily happen with personal remote control multi rotors.
    Of course, I'm not saying I want that to happen but if drone pilots keep pulling crap like preventing firefighters from flying over wild fires it's looking more and more likely that it will happen.

7. Collapse Details
    I guess with every new techology, there is potential for abuse (pardon the pun). Not sure I'd credit this user as a member of the drone community though. ;)

A package dropped by a drone near a Mansfield Correctional Institution recreation yard contained heroin, marijuana and tobacco, investigators say.
    http://fox8.com/2015/08/04/drone-dro...among-inmates/

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    This is as ridiculous as all that zombie ammo.
    David W. Jones

10. Collapse Details
    I have to say... as a gun owner... this whole craze reflects very poorly on gun owners.

As a gun owner and a drone flyer, this makes me sad.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast