Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Global shutter on the HPX170 spoiled me in many respects. I was very apprehensive when I acquired the GH4 with its rolling shutter and have had to modify my shooting style to accommodate it. A lot of folks have successfully shot skateboarding/skiing/snowboarding vids with the HPX170. Its auto-focus is pretty decent. Keep in mind that 1080p on the HPX170 uses pixel shift technology. If you continue to be interested the HPX170 also count in the cost of dedicated P2 media cards. You can find them used to save a few bucks. Also study the image quality of the HPX vs. more modern cameras. You can check out my older HPX vids compared to the newer GH4 here https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal5221 View Post
    Thanks a bunch barry! But I am trying to avoid the CMOS sensor which i thought the 130 didn't have! How would you compare the hpx250 to all of these cameras? Anymore camera suggestions would be very helpful!
    The HPX250 is more camera than any of them. It's generally the same size, shape, and probably the same sensors as the AC130, but with a more robust recording media and higher quality codecs. For your stated purposes, I don't know that the 250 would necessarily offer enough more over the 130 to justify the cost.

If you want CCD, the best bang for the buck from the group you mentioned is the HMC150. The HVX200 should probably be ruled right out, as the HPX170 is everything the 250 was, and more, in a much more ergonomic package. The HMC150 is basically the same camera as the HPX170, but with a cheaper recording format, and missing some things like variable frame rates. If you need VFR, or the reliability that P2 offers, go for the 170 over the 150. If you don't need VFR, you can save some money and record on cheap SD cards with the 150.

The 130 is a newer-generation camera, produces much sharper images, has a longer zoom range, and is generally a better camera than the 150. However, it's much bigger and more expensive, so you'd have to determine how those factors play into what your intended uses are.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 05-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    One note here that has been glazed over without mention; the P2 cams record to an I-frame codec. Each frame is a full frame of information. The SD card cams, like the 90, 130 and 160, record to AVCHD which is a more compressed long top codec. I own Panny cams that record to each. For action, recording to an I-frame codec is superior IMHO, better results recording action and editing as well.

One other note worth mentioning, there were two different models of the HVX200, the original, and the 200A model. The 200A has the same improved chipset as the HPX170 and has some other updated features which I can't remember just now. The 170 has better features than the 200A, but the image should be very similar except for whatever differences there is in the lens.

Although many knock these older Panny cams for not being as sharp as the newer MOS cams, you can still make good images with them. And the 170 in particular has many great features like waveform monitor, SDI out, and the ability to upload direct to a powered hard drive without a CPU. P2 cards are somewhat reasonable on the used market if you can live with 32Gig. The newer P2 cams need larger cards due to larger files, making the used 32Gb cards more affordable than the larger variants.

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    The AC130 uses the same 3MOS sensor array as the AC160. They are very similar "sister" models with the AC130 sacrificing a few features to sell at a lower price.

I would think 1080p60 capability would be very important for skating videos. But I don't think there's any CCD camera that supports it, and among those on your initial list, it's only available on the AC90. The AC90 is also a good deal smaller than the others you're considering, which would be an advantage for your work. It's a relatively recent, current model, available new. Therefore, that would be my recommendation -- despite the MOS sensor limitations and relatively weak low light sensitivity.

I saw a used AC90 sell for about $650 on eBay the other day, BTW.

- Greg

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    Global shutter on the HPX170 spoiled me in many respects. I was very apprehensive when I acquired the GH4 with its rolling shutter and have had to modify my shooting style to accommodate it. A lot of folks have successfully shot skateboarding/skiing/snowboarding vids with the HPX170. Its auto-focus is pretty decent. Keep in mind that 1080p on the HPX170 uses pixel shift technology. If you continue to be interested the HPX170 also count in the cost of dedicated P2 media cards. You can find them used to save a few bucks. Also study the image quality of the HPX vs. more modern cameras. You can check out my older HPX vids compared to the newer GH4 here https://vimeo.com/channels/3523

Awesome thanks. I think I am fully devoted to the hpx because I can get it used for about 1500-2000 with p2 cards which saves me room for a nice fisheye and other equipment. I plan on getting a HDSLR to compliment the hpx in the future and I'm sure the gh4 would be a good contender. Thanks for the help

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The HPX250 is more camera than any of them. It's generally the same size, shape, and probably the same sensors as the AC130, but with a more robust recording media and higher quality codecs. For your stated purposes, I don't know that the 250 would necessarily offer enough more over the 130 to justify the cost.

If you want CCD, the best bang for the buck from the group you mentioned is the HMC150. The HVX200 should probably be ruled right out, as the HPX170 is everything the 250 was, and more, in a much more ergonomic package. The HMC150 is basically the same camera as the HPX170, but with a cheaper recording format, and missing some things like variable frame rates. If you need VFR, or the reliability that P2 offers, go for the 170 over the 150. If you don't need VFR, you can save some money and record on cheap SD cards with the 150.

The 130 is a newer-generation camera, produces much sharper images, has a longer zoom range, and is generally a better camera than the 150. However, it's much bigger and more expensive, so you'd have to determine how those factors play into what your intended uses are.

Looks like I am going with the hpx170 and most likely a 16x9 EXII fisheye. I plan on matching this setup with a hdslr in the future. Anymore suggestions on lenses or other gear that can compliment this setup is appreciated. Thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    I think you will like the HPX 170 and fisheye. I have some HMC150s and like them a lot. I also have an EXII wide lens and like it as well though I don't use it much. I'm still sort of a CCD guy

I also mount Sony Action Cams on the hood of my cameras to get an extra wide angle view and it has been extremely useful. They can record 1080 60P, 720 120P and the new ones can do 1080 120P. I often find myself intercutting the footage between the cams although plan on some post color matching.

The HPX170 and HMC150 aren't the sharpest cameras around but their 720P looks great and 1080 varies. I find the full wide outdoor landscape 1080 footage not great, but the rest usually is pretty good. Global shutter so no rolling shutter issue!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I think you will like the HPX 170 and fisheye. I have some HMC150s and like them a lot. I also have an EXII wide lens and like it as well though I don't use it much. I'm still sort of a CCD guy

I also mount Sony Action Cams on the hood of my cameras to get an extra wide angle view and it has been extremely useful. They can record 1080 60P, 720 120P and the new ones can do 1080 120P. I often find myself intercutting the footage between the cams although plan on some post color matching.

The HPX170 and HMC150 aren't the sharpest cameras around but their 720P looks great and 1080 varies. I find the full wide outdoor landscape 1080 footage not great, but the rest usually is pretty good. Global shutter so no rolling shutter issue!

thanks for the help. Can I see some footage with the action cam mount on top? I'm very curious to what that looks like, I own a gopro hero 4 silver so maybe that can do the same thing? Thanks again

9. Collapse Details
    Get a used AF100 and stick whatever fisheye lens you want on it. They shoot actual 1080p/60 and are quite cheap second hand. They're good in low light, built in ND etc.

10. Collapse Details
    I'd seriously just get a GH4 and forget about the rest! Well, maybe an AF100
    Last edited by IronFilm; 09-16-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12