Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hvx vs hpx vs ag ac vs hmc
    Let's say I have a budget of 2500$, I film skateboarding/skiing/snowboarding, have a MacBook Pro with adobe premier, aspire to film things like weddings, music videos, commercials etc and I am battling between these cameras. My dream is to be able to get the ag ac160a or hpx250 but they're too pricey right now. So with that said I am fighting over 1.hpx170(1800$+) or ag ac130a($2500+) 2. Hvx200a (1200$+) 3.hmc 150 (1900$+) 4. Ag ac90a (1700$+)
    I need something that can fit and look good with a big fisheye! I've also look into the ag af100 with interchangeable lenses. If anyone has any insight for my purchase that'd be great. I'd like to know which is best regardless of price and which is best for the price + which would be best for me and why!
    thanks
    -Cal

2. Collapse Details
    Try not to double post your threads next time.

Do any of these cameras have high enough frame rates for your action videos? The max on all of them is 60. And most of them cannot do 1080p, which has become the base standard. Will that be a deterrent for you?
    Your fisheye comment is confusing me about whether these camcorders allow for lenses changes. Do they? If so, make sure to leave enough money for lenses. If buying the ag ac130a would leave you with little left, then that wouldn't be a smart decision.

But as you are wanting to move into more commercial/popular styles of filmmaking, I'd personally steer away from these formats and instead choose a GH4, a7s, or a similar camera. However, those do cost more with the necessary rigs and accessories.
    Check out 2 of my short films!

Arty Ross: Supernatural Investigator:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...t-Film-Round-1
    Prufrock: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986543166

Lance Samples

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
    Try not to double post your threads next time.

Do any of these cameras have high enough frame rates for your action videos? The max on all of them is 60. And most of them cannot do 1080p, which has become the base standard. Will that be a deterrent for you?
    Your fisheye comment is confusing me about whether these camcorders allow for lenses changes. Do they? If so, make sure to leave enough money for lenses. If buying the ag ac130a would leave you with little left, then that wouldn't be a smart decision.

But as you are wanting to move into more commercial/popular styles of filmmaking, I'd personally steer away from these formats and instead choose a GH4, a7s, or a similar camera. However, those do cost more with the necessary rigs and accessories.
    Sorry I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible, the frame rates don't truly matter for filming action sports unless you're trying to get an ultra HD slow mo which isn't what I want. I almost want the opposite of that style because everyone is doing that today. What's most important is that it isn't a CMOS sensor and instead a 3ccd or 3mos sensor, with that being said what is my best choice from all the ones I listed above?

4. Collapse Details
    I haven't used the ac90 so can't comment on that one,
    if your wanting 3 x CCD and your on a budget I'd go for the HMC150, it shoots to SD cards and isn't bad in low light,
    BUT it doesn't shoot true 1080, AFAIK it upscales from a 720 chip so the image sometimes looks soft on the wide end - but I've shot wedding, corporates etc on it and you can get good results,
    if you could live with the CMOS the AC130 would be your best choice
    I used to have an HVX200 (awful in low light) then an HPX170 (P2 equivalent of the HMC150) , and the image/color is nicer but the P2 recording media is way overpriced,
    I now have an AC160 and it is a great cam
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

5. Collapse Details
    The AC90 is a great camera for daylight, but not as suitable for indoors. For daylight skateboard stuff it'd be great, but for your other stated uses, it wouldn't be as good as the others. The HVX200 is relatively ancient as compared to the other choices. The HPX170 and HMC150 are the same generation camera, and they're both excellent balance and a great combination of features, but again, rather old -- they were introduced in around 2008. The AC130A is a superior camera to all of them, but it's the most expensive of your choices and it's comparatively huge.

6. Collapse Details
    I second Barry's advice. If you can't afford the AC130A I would go for the HPX170. You should be able to get one in excellent shape for around $1300.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TubEfingers View Post
    I haven't used the ac90 so can't comment on that one,
    if your wanting 3 x CCD and your on a budget I'd go for the HMC150, it shoots to SD cards and isn't bad in low light,
    BUT it doesn't shoot true 1080, AFAIK it upscales from a 720 chip so the image sometimes looks soft on the wide end - but I've shot wedding, corporates etc on it and you can get good results,
    if you could live with the CMOS the AC130 would be your best choice
    I used to have an HVX200 (awful in low light) then an HPX170 (P2 equivalent of the HMC150) , and the image/color is nicer but the P2 recording media is way overpriced,
    I now have an AC160 and it is a great cam

This is what I don't get- ac90 is 3mos and films in 1080x60p, yet the 130 is CMOS and doesn't film 1080x60p. This being said I think I'm gonna go for the hpx170, unless I can get a blessing of a deal for the hpx250 or ac160. If only the 130 was 3mos and filmed 1080x60p....
    Anymore insight helps!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The AC90 is a great camera for daylight, but not as suitable for indoors. For daylight skateboard stuff it'd be great, but for your other stated uses, it wouldn't be as good as the others. The HVX200 is relatively ancient as compared to the other choices. The HPX170 and HMC150 are the same generation camera, and they're both excellent balance and a great combination of features, but again, rather old -- they were introduced in around 2008. The AC130A is a superior camera to all of them, but it's the most expensive of your choices and it's comparatively huge.

Thanks a bunch barry! But I am trying to avoid the CMOS sensor which i thought the 130 didn't have! How would you compare the hpx250 to all of these cameras? Anymore camera suggestions would be very helpful!

Edit: is the ac130a CMOS or 3mos? It says on over view on B&H "1/3" 2.2 MP 3MOS Sensor"
    but then in the specs "Image Device 3x 1/3-type progressive 2.2 MP CMOS
    Prism color separation" someone explain this to me if they can!
    Last edited by Cal5221; 05-06-2015 at 07:51 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    I second Barry's advice. If you can't afford the AC130A I would go for the HPX170. You should be able to get one in excellent shape for around $1300.
    i think that's what I'm gonna do!! I'm using it mostly for skiing/snowboarding/skateboarding, so there will be a lot fast panning, follow cam shots (with fisheye), and fast moving subjects in general and what I've heard of the rolling shutter effect in CMOS is really scaring me away. Should it? My wish list is a 3ccd or 3 mos that can do 1080x60p and is somewhat good in low light. Is that too much to ask for? :'(

10. Collapse Details
    Update: Dreaming of the hpx250 and ag160, but I have slimmed it down to ac130 and hpx170. Any other suggestions for what I am looking to shoot (posted above) are greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast