Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Trailer for Sundance favorite, TANGERINE, shot on iPhone 5s
    Along with the Moondog Labs $160 anamorphic adapter. What do you guys think of the cinematography in the trailer? This is the first footage released since the media blitz out of Sundance about this film and it being shot on an iPhone. It's not the first to do so, but it might be the first feature-length film to do so, and certainly the most talked about up to this point.

It's a red-band trailer btw:

Some interviews with the filmmakers if you're interested:

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/in...e-shot-iphone/
    http://www.interviewmagazine.com/fil...-sundance-2015
    http://variety.com/video/sundance-se...-of-an-iphone/
    Last edited by refocusedmedia; 04-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    That's awesome. Like the filmmakers, I also live nearby that area, like 10 minutes away, and I often have coffee in the starbucks kitty-corner across the donut shop ... love seeing all those locations. The thing about the iPhone is so true regarding the discrete aspect of it... small cameras and inconspicuous is where it's at when it come to this kind of low budget guerilla filmmaking, and these guys did an amazing job. Thanks for posting this, refocusedmedia!

3. Collapse Details
    That's such a nice breath of fresh air.... I love when competent people take something simple and turn it useful. You can have all sorts of pretentious film theory ideas of this being bad, but I honestly think it's well achieved and makes the iPhone look like a damn good tool. Also nice to see that the old statement that sound is 50% of the movie is still valid.

4. Collapse Details
    It's very nicely done. They have a great editor and having a good sound person on set make all the difference.
    Emre Tufekci S.O.A.http://www.productionpit.com

5. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    All true, wrt. sound, editing etc.; what I found intriguing, is that they were able to shoot relatively unmolested, because using the iPhone and skeletal crew, the public didn't even realize they were shooting most of the time - read the interviews with the director... I love the idea of keeping things so minimalistic that nobody even knows you're shooting. I wish they talked about how they got the sound so good - was it all lavs? Because the moment you appear with a boom, the jig is up and people realize you are shooting footage. Regardless, the production sound is really good!

6. Collapse Details
    hey so, i'm "Facebook friends" with the director and just asked him. he said sound was actually their biggest footprint and was done conventionally -- lavs on everyone, a boom when they could use it, etc.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Thank you Zak for getting the lowdown on sound. Amazing. It sounds so good, I thought a boom must have been involved at some point, but then, you are more visible... looks like they decided it was a price worth paying. And they were right 100% - because sound really is at least 50% of the experience. Bravo! These are some sharp folks! Can't wait to see the whole film.

8. Collapse Details
    I think this has pretty much been answered, but I'll ask just for clarification. . .was it all available light? As others have said, cam doesn't matter as much as composition, color, lighting, etc. Did they time their shooting around when places were lit well naturally?

9. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    FWIW, here's the website of the company that made the lens adapters the filmmakers used on the iPhone 5S when shooting Tangerine:

Moondoglabs

10. Collapse Details
    i watched it on netflix. the iphone definitely gave it more of a documentary vibe. i think it added to the believability of the story more so than an expensive camera would have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast