1. Collapse Details
    No new photography dslr?
    So I do video and I am adding photography to my services. I have been putting off buying a canon full frame dslr for 6 months bc I was waiting for the mark iv expecting it to just be the mark iii with 4k video.

I currently own a gh3 and gh4 and it's time to buy something for pro photography, but I need to keep my pro video stuff. Did nikon or canon release anything? Are they expected to anytime soon?

so my options now... Gh4 for video and a whole different system for photography? Might buy the nikon d810 and I'd be selling my gh3 so I could use the d810 for a b cam on video shoots. Any better options than the d810? Is the 750 or 610 gonna do close to the same job for cheaper? Would the d810 be solid for my b video camera?

my other option is the new black magi. Ursa mini. Looks awesome but the it's footage I've seen is dull and no shallow depth of field which I need for corporate work. I could get the cheapest Ursa. mini and a canon 6d since they would use the same lenses and wouldn't be much out of my pocket after selling all my panasonic gear.

just curious if I missed something being released or if something should be released soon? What are you guys using to cover both pro video and photography?

2. Collapse Details
    How is the GH4 limiting you in pro photography?

One of my friends does video/photo packages and uses an Olympus EM1 for the photo part... mostly out of plain preference. I use my GH4 (and earlier GH2) for a fair amount of product photos. Micro43 cameras do actually work for pro photography.

The Ursa Mini has a Super35 sensor, so just because the limited footage you've seen from it hasn't been shallow depth, it's certainly capable of it... and the dullness is a function of the grade used on the raw footage. If you aren't prepared to color grade your footage, a Black Magic camera may not be for you (they come with Resolve for a reason). Also keep in mind a ready-to-shoot system will run a few thousand more than the base sticker price due to expensive media, no EVF, and a few other optional parts.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

3. Collapse Details
    I like the gh4 for wide shots but comparing to my friend who I shoot with who had a 60d and now a 6d, the gh4 stinks for portraits/weddings/low light which I'm getting into. I probably won't do the Ursa mini but that camera just looks so nice.

4. Collapse Details
    I have a Nikon D810 and only use it for photos.

It is a monster and i am completely astounded at the medium format quality images i am getting from it.

IMO, get the best tool for the job.

For stills, the D810 is easily that tool.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.