Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CineStill View Post
    I recently sold my two AF102 cameras and have just been allocated a RED Raven after a years wait! ...
    I mentioned on another thread that Red Raven is basically what the AF200 would/could/should have been.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I mentioned on another thread that Red Raven is basically what the AF200 would/could/should have been.
    The Raven is $7,000 for just the brain. That's three and a half times as expensive as an AF100A was two years ago. Add the DSMC2 Base Package and you're looking at about $12,500 for a workable lensless Raven package. How is that in any way comparable with the market segment the AF100 was in?

That's more VariCam LT territory, not AF100/AF200 territory, isn't it?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Maybe Panasonic will surprise us at this years NAB and at least talk about a replacement for the AF100, all they would really need to do is put the guts of a GH5 in a Pro camera body designed for interchangeable lenses………….it’s a no brainer and would sell like hot cakes at 3K.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Barry
    Yes you are right regarding current pricing.
    I paid $10,000 USD for the RED Raven I/O package which was the introductory package offered by RED in 2015 and while I paid $5000 in Australia for the AF102 I'm sure it would have been cheaper in the US.
    So maybe the AF102 is one third of the price of a Raven?
    I still feel Panasonic does not listen to its customer base as well as RED does.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The Raven is $7,000 for just the brain. That's three and a half times as expensive as an AF100A was two years ago. Add the DSMC2 Base Package and you're looking at about $12,500 for a workable lensless Raven package. How is that in any way comparable with the market segment the AF100 was in?

That's more VariCam LT territory, not AF100/AF200 territory, isn't it?
    Red's margins, costs of manufacturing and the R&D have to be higher - at least, percentage wise - than of a major Japan based conglomerate. As a comparison for pricing, I'd look at Sony FS-5, which can shoot Raw into a Q7+ for about $8,000 combined. An MFT derived camera would/should retail for even less.

If one drops the Raw capability completely, GH-5 can already shoot 10-bit V-log internal for $2,100. Let's say it'd run another $1,500 for an AF-100 style body.

To bring up another example, JVC LS 300 is retailing for $2,600 already.

Interpolating between the above, it looks like a $5,000-6,000'ish MFT 4K Raw package would be possible under the current market rates. We'll see what the NAB brings.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, Blackmagic has managed to release a Ursa Mini Pro, with external controls like the AF100, built in filters and interchangeable mounts, covering EF, PL and B4, with Nikon F on the way, for under $6K! Except for the fact it is a 4.6K S35 sensor, it is the camera the AF200 could have been, if it were a MFT mount camera with a smaller sensor.
    Cheers

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    Well, Blackmagic has managed to release a Ursa Mini Pro, with external controls like the AF100, built in filters and interchangeable mounts, covering EF, PL and B4, with Nikon F on the way, for under $6K! Except for the fact it is a 4.6K S35 sensor, it is the camera the AF200 could have been, if it were a MFT mount camera with a smaller sensor.
    Cheers
    By the time you add a viewfinder and battery, the Ursa Mini Pro gets up there in price.
    Like a lot of others on this site I waited for Panasonic to follow up on the AF100.
    Well, as we all know, they didn't.
    I bought the GH4, but could never get into the DLSR form factor. Eventually, I ended up buying a Sony FS5.
    A nice little camera, and in my opinion, probably the closest you're gonna a get to the AF100.
    I will say say this; though it has better image quality, I still miss a lot of the Panny's features.
    Panasonic dropped the ball. What a shame.
    T
    Last edited by TFilipiak; 03-20-2017 at 08:48 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, the Ursa Mini Pro costs more, especially if you add on the battery plate, shoulder mount/handle kit, and EVF.
    I also wish Panasonic had come up with a AF200 with true 10-bit recording and output, even at $6K.

If you add an external ProRes video recorder, the AF100A can still do a good job with controlled lighting. The Sony FS5 is nice too, but it is more toward broadcast in terms of color saturation.
    Cheers

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    Cheers
    This is the thing that's been frustrating me about Panasonic for about 6 years now, they've had the technology to produce something very much like the Ursa Mini Pro, at a similar price point since before BMD was even making cameras - yet, they haven't (for some reason) seen the value in fulfilling their vision of producing relatively inexpensive cinema cameras for the masses. Anyone remember when Panasonic was positioning the AF100 as a digital replacement for S16 film? What happened to THAT company? I've slowly moved on to BMD's offerings as they've proven a much stronger interest and commitment in making the kind of cameras I want, but it's still baffling to me that Panasonic doesn't dominate the $5,000.00 (ish) compact cinema camera space... it was theirs to lose.

Shawn

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post
    This is the thing that's been frustrating me about Panasonic for about 6 years now, they've had the technology to produce something very much like the Ursa Mini Pro, at a similar price point since before BMD was even making cameras - yet, they haven't (for some reason) seen the value in fulfilling their vision of producing relatively inexpensive cinema cameras for the masses. Anyone remember when Panasonic was positioning the AF100 as a digital replacement for S16 film? What happened to THAT company? I've slowly moved on to BMD's offerings as they've proven a much stronger interest and commitment in making the kind of cameras I want, but it's still baffling to me that Panasonic doesn't dominate the $5,000.00 (ish) compact cinema camera space... it was theirs to lose.
    Because they wanted to focus on the DSLR craze and pump out new GH# cameras. Meh. Plus, the AF100 never met the bottom-line expectations the suits were hoping for.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Fifty Oars Motion Pictures

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast