Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    So with the new announcement of the GH5S, with a video designed sensor, and MFT mount, it comes closer to a AF100 replacement than the EVA1 does, which is closer to a VariCam. Too bad Panasonic doesn’t offer the GH5S sensor/video processor in a body closer to the AF100 with pro audio support/connectors and BNC video connections, like the AF100 had.
    You are not alone in those sentiments. Although I think an included EVF would make the EVA1 more desirable.

2. Collapse Details
    Really, if you're looking for an AF100 successor, as someone who went to the GH5 line it actually kits out very well now.

$2500 GH5s (or GH5)
    $500 Xume Adaptors on every lens + Variable ND Filter used together
    $400 Panasonic XLR Unit
    $500 Small HD Focus (you can even power the camera from this unit!)
    $300 MovCam Cage
    $100-$600 Select your mounting options (Dual Cage Grip, Shoulder Mount, etc.)

TOTAL: $4300-$4800

Sure, I'd love to see a body with built in XLRs and built in ND filters, and maybe a few physical switches in an AF100 successor someday... but really, this is VERY close and hardly even a step down ergonomically (I've found things I personally prefer about this sort of setup). For all intents and purposes, it's basically the same, with the bonus of being modular + a VND vs set NDs (just buy Xume + a high quality filter).

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    That is what my thinking is

GHS body
    Video Devices PixE with LR (XLR and mic preamps) 5-inch model (already have) get ProRes recordings.
    Alternative SmallHD 501 to use when recording internally
    Sound Diveces MixPre D (XLR and mic preamps w/line out to camera’s audio line input)
    Wooden Camera GH 5 Cage

I have everything except GH5D and the cage. So looking at under $3K.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny16; 01-25-2018 at 07:26 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Steven Soderbergh made Unsane with a iPhone 7 plus. For companies like Panasonic the whole camera business is changing. More films on small screens and the new generation are watching other kids eating Tide Pods on youtube.
    For me I'd like to use something besides my GH3 and get back to the run and gun type camera. My DVX100b was so much easier. Now to find something along that line on a budget!

5. Collapse Details
    It might be time to give up on a successor for the AF100 and just add a rigged up GH5 to your kit.

Rigged GH5 .jpg

Accessories to Rig The Panasonic GH5 and The Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Lens for Studio Shoots

Movcam Cage Kit
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=
    $315.00

Cine Ring for Olympus 12-40mm Lens http://www.cordvision.com/product/62...-ring-80mm-od/
    $29.00 each

Genustech Matte Box Lite
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=833598
    $195.00

Edelkrone Follow Focus One http://www.provideocoalition.com/ede...jib-rig-stand/
    $200.00

Lens Gears https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ars_Kit_4.html
    $178.00

Lensstraps for Pulling Focus
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Follow-Focu...-/271005028377
    $19.99

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    As a side note on lens gears, you can save a ton of money by 3D printing your lens gears. I found someone to 3D print 13 gears for $35 on 3dhubs.com.

Does anyone have experience with Cinevate lens gears?

eBay has knockoff Redrock gears for next to nothing, no idea of the quality though.

Here's another eBay one that's essentially seamless.

7. Collapse Details
    3D print gears are not a smooth as cut gears, getting custom cut FF gears is worth the extra cost. Everything else is a compromise in quality. Cordvision makes two types of hand cut FF gears, $45-50, you install yourself. Duclos gears are not much more, but you need to send your lens in. Top,of,the line are the new FF gears from Zeiss, designed for their new lenses, but they fit a variety of lenses, and come in three size ranges.
    Cheers

8. Collapse Details
    I think the GH5S would be a better AF100replacement contender, and was considering getting one, until Blackmagic announced their new “Pocket Camera” 4K, which uses the same sensor as the GH5S, but adds ProRes and Raw recording in camera. It also features a full HD 5-inch Monitor,which unfortunately is fixed on the camera back, but is very useable. Optimized for video and a Cine type shooting, this comes closest to a new MFT Cine type csmera, which like the AF100 has XlR mic inputput, pro audio recording 24 bit/48Hz and can record to external drives via its USB-C port — all for less than $1400!

It would be grand if Pannasonic would put the GH5S sensor back into a AF100 style case, with a full HD monitor, SDI/HDMI inputs, and two XLR mic inputs, whith one switchable to AES line input for usingmwith external mixers like the MicPreD. Add updated UHS2 SD cards or like BM’s new camera, One SD and one CFast slot. Keep all the previous AF100 features. But Doing this might cut into the EVA1 sales, so probably will not happen. The Pro Camera division (which the AF100 was in) came out with the $8K EVA1 instead.
    Cheers

9. Collapse Details
    Vardalos, nice looking rig by the way.
    Cheers

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    Vardalos, nice looking rig by the way.
    Cheers
    Thanks Denny it’s very compact, easy to work with and it dresses up my GH5 so that clients don’t say, think or wonder, who hired that still photographer for our video shoot?

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast