Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    AF200 isn't coming...
    But URSA Mini is and Panasonic has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    An open letter is pointless, except perhaps it makes the author feel better expressing their thoughts. But one letter does not make a market. Panasonic is in no financial shape to play in niche markets. The profitability of Panasonic's AV division is pathetic. So there is no money or resources to spend on these smaller markets.
    They have to compete or close down shop and, had they wanted to compete, this seemed like a decent niche to make some money.

The fear of overcrowded field can be one of the possible explanations but, outside of LS300 and URSA Mini, there aren't that many 4K cameras in this $4,000-$7,000 market right now. FS7 is slightly above it. A7s+Shogun/Q7 combo is a two-piece kit. But Panasonic doesn't have anything in the $10,000-$20,000 range either.

So, I'll say again, it's likely to be GH5/YAGH II combo or bust.
    Last edited by DLD; 04-13-2015 at 10:50 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    As a side note, I have to congratulate combatentropy for getting "his" global shutter camera (and for a reasonably affordable price too). The voice in the wilderness was heard!
    Aww, you remembered ;)

Cameras are closer than ever to my ideal (the aforementioned S35 global shutter in an XA-10) but I'm still not sure I'm going to pull the trigger. The URSA Mini, at five pounds and $5,000 without lens or battery, is still at least twice my budget in size, weight, and money.

What has my gears turning is the Blackmagic Micro, how I might rig it up with a screen and XLRs, without making it as big and costly as the Ursa Mini. I guess I'll be thumbing through old threads on BMCUser on rigging out the Pocket. After all, S16 at f/0.95 should have the same depth of field as S35 at f/2, and 4K is for chumps ;)

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, everyone pretty much missed what this camera is all about.

I have no doubts that it will rock. Might not rock the way you want it to - but will rock all the same.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    A
    The DVX200 is cool for what it does but that isn't the point. The complaining isn't abou the DVX200. it's about Panasonic. Go ahead, release a DVX200 and a bunch of other cameras... all good.

It's the NOT releasing of a Pro M43 format and this post nails it. At this point, I'm pretty much through with Panny just out of principle. Multiple years of dissapoint NAB, and all the teasing pre NAB just puts a nail in the coffin. It's like they were listening to us and saying "oohh we have a surprise for you!" And then BOOM. It was one of those stupid "we know better" surprises that just proves they weren't listening at all.

If an Af200 as per the preNAB rumors were true it would have been an insane hit. The M43 format is highly viable with what was changed since 2010.

The problem is they decided to try and pull a Henry Ford and not give us faster horses, but a true ENG camera. Apparently they think people who want built in NDs and better low light for uncontrolled lighting and better monitors for focusing etc all must want to shoot ENG news style. So they solved this problem: f/2.8 is better to keep in focus, and its a built in zoom, etc. So tada.

No panny. Stop. We know what we want. We told you a million fricking times. The AF100 didn't fail cause the concept wasn't good, as post states. With the Gh4 momentum it would have been perfect timining. Instead they release a camera none of the Gh4/Af100 fan base was asking for. Certainly this will appeal to some people, absolutely. But for literally everyone else, we will be jumping ship. There's no other options. Not going to keep waiting for a phantom pro solution.

So frustrating.

I have no problem with the DVX200 for what it is, I have a problem with the fact of what it means in regards to Panny and their support of the format. As one poster put it, the Af200 isn't coming and Panny isn't listening. F 'em. I was like a kid on Christmas yesterday with all the rumors, money ready.

Now I'm just done.
    Last edited by filmguy123; 04-14-2015 at 01:39 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    No panny. Stop. We know what we want. We told you a million fricking times. The AF100 didn't fail cause the concept wasn't good, as post states. With the Gh4 momentum it would have been perfect timining. Instead they release a camera none of the Gh4/Af100 fan base was asking for. Certainly this will appeal to some people, absolutely. But for literally everyone else, we will be jumping ship. There's no other options. Not going to keep waiting for a phantom pro solution.

So frustrating.

I have no problem with the DVX200 for what it is, I have a problem with the fact of what it means in regards to Panny and their support of the format. As one poster put it, the Af200 isn't coming and Panny isn't listening. F 'em. I was like a kid on Christmas yesterday with all the rumors, money ready.

Now I'm just done.
    You are not what Panasonic Broadcast is going for. You and I are a very small portion of shooters that is much exaggerated on these type of boards. I won't buy this camera, but Panasonic is doing what is good for them. This camera will sell. A lot.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Ok, so if the af100(a) successor don't come, what are the alternative(s) that cam match both this and the GH4 (changeble lens, No ENG, 4k & good price) ?

7. Collapse Details
    I actually kind of like it.
    i have very fond memories of my DVX100 days. That camera just WORKED. And for SD the image was beautiful.
    No external recorders or mic pre's needed...the built in NDs...the zoom rocker...there was just so much stuff on that camera like this that I used nearly every single shoot. It just worked.
    When I moved to DSLRs I had to make all kinds of checklists just to make sure I had everything setup that the 'ol DVX just had as soon as you turned it on.

I personally think this camera might surprise some skeptics. The larger sensor (over DVX100) means that a nice moderately shallow depth of field will be easily achievable, and that was pretty much the ONE thing everyone wanted from the DVX that it couldn't really do - hence all these 35mm adapter rigs that sold by the gazillions.

A 4k DVX, with better DR than the original, and a larger sensor... Seriously, that can cover an enormous amount of different shooting styles and requirements. And ya never know with the kiddies these days - they might all LIKE that crazy new color scheme!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Robinette View Post
    You are not what Panasonic Broadcast is going for. You and I are a very small portion of shooters that is much exaggerated on these type of boards. I won't buy this camera, but Panasonic is doing what is good for them. This camera will sell. A lot.
    It'll run smack into C100 MK II and a ton of people will stick with Canon.

The AF-200 - almost the same specs, the same price, no lens - would be competing against URSA Mini and JVC LS 300.

From marketing perspectives, the second choice seems to hold more advantages, although I am sure they had done their marketing research prior to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by monks19 View Post
    Ok, so if the af100(a) successor don't come, what are the alternative(s) that cam match both this and the GH4 (changeble lens, No ENG, 4k & good price) ?
    The only GH4 competitor, as of now, is NX1.

In the ~ $4,000-$6,000 range, it's the two cams I mentioned above.

9. Collapse Details
    Part of me thinks that maybe the AF-200 just wasn't ready. Cameras, and any project really, usually take longer than you'd guess. Then again, they could have just brought a wooden mock-up. It has been done it before.

It's just that (1) there has been a lot of ruckus for years for an AF-200 ---not only from us but from people who can speak to Panasonic representatives directly, people like Barry Green, and (2) the DVX-200 is as similar to an AF-200 as the JVC GY-HM200 is to the JVC GY-LS300. If JVC can whip out two versions of a camcorder, one with a fixed lens and one with interchangeable, so can Panasonic.

10. Collapse Details
    I was hoping there would be an AF200 at NAB as well. I love my AF100, but just wanted the next iteration.

I think I might be switching over to the BlackMagic Ursa.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast