Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    For me, the PX270 ticks so many boxes with its overall versatility, light weight, good image quality, precise zoom control, and rich configuration options that the accuracy of the monitor color seems like a really trivial critique (not that I find it that bad, anyway). I tend to try and set up the general look using the scene file settings and a "real" monitor before I ever leave home base, then trust that doing an AWB/ABB under the actual lights on location will get me pretty close. If not, well, it's a 10-bit recording and I can push it around a bit in post -- although usually my tweaks, if any, are quite minimal.

Then again, I' m an old cuss, and grew up shooting in an era where the only monitoring you had in the field was a 1-1/2" black and white CRT viewfinder on the camera. Maybe with adjustable peaking if you were lucky. Just having any color on the screen at all still seems right out of the Jetsons to me. :-)

- Greg

2. Collapse Details
    Who are the Jetsons?

3. Collapse Details
    and you had to walk to the shoot....in the snow...uphill...both ways.
    yes I too remember the good old days!

4. Collapse Details
    We have been shooting with the PX the other day ... the any downside is that small sensor which makes it hard to get any sort of shallow depth of field for interviews in small rooms ...

And yes, it's a pity Barry Green hasnt written one of this books on this camera model. I bought two of this books earlier... Still looking for settings that look nice for "ready to use".

5. Collapse Details
    I think these shallow DOF shots are way overused these days. I don't at all miss large sensor cam nor it's a deal breaker for getting shallow DOF effect. It's nice but not absolutely necessary to achieve the blurred background effect. Not only that, shooting shallow DOF for human subject is very risky because you'll likely be out of focus if the subject accidentally move. It requires super sharp monitor on set for any out of focus. The built in LCD or any focus assist in the cam will not guarantee that it'll be razor sharp. Controlled and artistic lighting is the key here to get similar results to blur out the background.

Quote Originally Posted by SaschaGermany View Post
    We have been shooting with the PX the other day ... the any downside is that small sensor which makes it hard to get any sort of shallow depth of field for interviews in small rooms ...

And yes, it's a pity Barry Green hasnt written one of this books on this camera model. I bought two of this books earlier... Still looking for settings that look nice for "ready to use".

6. Collapse Details
    If one of your primary needs from a camera is shallow depth of field in small rooms, why would you select this camera? Not being difficult, but that's the one thing this, or any other small sensor camera, is not going to do. I'd get a full frame DSLR with an 85mm f1.8 lens and dedicate that to interviews in small rooms. Everything else is where the PX270 shines.

Quote Originally Posted by SaschaGermany View Post

7. Collapse Details
    New software for the PX270
    http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-...upgpx270_e.htm

From the release notes:
    - Enhanced FTP transfer function for P2 Cast
    - Enhanced streaming function for external servers and for LiveU
    - Wi-Fi : Support for Direct mode of USB-N53 (an ASUS product)
    - LTE : Support for SIM-lock-free dongle
    - MENU is added to adjustment the brightness of LCD.
    - Support for AK-HRP200 Ver.5.01-00-0.07

Mostly network/broadcast improvements, but at least they haven't abandoned this overlooked beauty.

Edited to add: The brightness adjustment for the LCD adds R,G,B offsets for additional color tweaking.
    Last edited by crossXcheck; 05-28-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Additional info added.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crossXcheck View Post
    New software for the PX270
    Edited to add: The brightness adjustment for the LCD adds R,G,B offsets for additional color tweaking.
    That should help for those finding the LCD too green.

9. Collapse Details
    is Barry Green one of the better places to get information on Panasonic camera's? I have just ordered my first Panasonic teh 270. coming from Sony. Vortex Media has DVD's that are very good at learning the camera's. Is there anyone you know of taht produces DVD's or Video's to work your way through the menu's. and good setups. When I first started with EX-1 several years ago I got some DVD's and they really helped. when I bought a xf100 I got DVD on the xf300 and the menu's were very much the same.

I read that one of you has bought a couple of Barry Green's books but did not find it helped much with this 270 camera because it has menu's more like broadcast camera's is that right? Looking for idea's where to look. I was able to glean some information after reading here thanks.

I just bought the 2011 HPX book thinking it is the closest to this camera. What are your thoughts
    Last edited by robryan; 06-10-2015 at 05:51 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Barry has written several books about Panny cams and they are worth the read. He unfortunately hasn't written one about the 270. Take the hint Barry, I hope that you can find a way to get this done since I am interested in this 270 as well. The book about the 170 would be helpful, but the 270 is a lot more camera so there would be lots of stuff in the camera menus that wouldn't be there. Generally the manuals provided by Panny are pretty bad.

Grant

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast