1. Collapse Details
    3D Animation with live action film workflow question
    I'm going to be editing a short film where I will be working with a couple of 3D vfx people (modeler/texture artist and animator).

I'm confused on how the animator will make his animations seamless with the live footage.

What is the typical workflow for compositing 3D animation with live footage? Does the 3D animator work in After Effects to composite after he has done his animations in his 3d software program?

2. Collapse Details
    I imagine they will tell you want they need whoevers is in charge of that. Basically you would edit the film down and lock your cut. It is very important that the edit isn't going to change. You don't want them to have to do more work than they need to. The way were doing it on the feature (holodad) i'm editing, is to give them the raw footage, then give them the in and out points for each cut, plus have them add handles of a few frames on either side of the given timecode in and out points just in case. Then they will animate and composite that cut and return a finished video file that i will add over top in my edit. A trick to line it up is to drop it on the track above and roughly line it up. Then change the top layers compositing mode to "Difference" when it goes black it will be lined up perfectly. Obviously the new elements will not be black. Then turn the compositing back to "Normal" so its off. Then you can just disable/enable the layer(or track) to verify. Make sure the audio is off on the top layer if they rendered it back out with audio. Hope that helps.
    ----------------------------

WORK: MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 64GB Ram, Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
    HOME: Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16gb ram
    SOFTWARE: FCPX, FCP6, Compressor, DVDSP, Motion, After Effects, Lightwave 3D
    Cameras & Acc: Panasonic GH2, GH4, Ninja Blade, CameTV cage

3. Collapse Details
    Ok that makes a lot of sense....sweet and good luck with your kickstarter campaign! Looks fun!

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks. Let me know if you have anymore questions, i've done some VFX compositing and 3D animation.
    ----------------------------

WORK: MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 64GB Ram, Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
    HOME: Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16gb ram
    SOFTWARE: FCPX, FCP6, Compressor, DVDSP, Motion, After Effects, Lightwave 3D
    Cameras & Acc: Panasonic GH2, GH4, Ninja Blade, CameTV cage