1. Collapse Details
    Camera test with the DVX100 & SG-Pro 35mm adapter.
    Thumbs up
    My friend Guy contacted me recently to shoot a short film he had written. It was about the life of struggling musician and he wanted it reflected in the cinematography as well. He wanted something grungy, with a 90s aesthetic. I missed out on the era of 35mm adapters and dvx100 but the image it produced always stuck with me. In film school, I even considered shelling out heaps of money to buy one. I showed some of the footage that existed in the vaults of Vimeo and Guy loved the look.

My friend Patrick conveniently had a DVX100 sitting on his shelf with an SG-Pro 35mm adapter and Nikon mount. With mostly a 50mm ai f1.4, I went around town and took shots of random things. Here's some of the camera tests we did with the camera set up:

We blew the footage up to 720p. A lot of the footage is underexposed. I love the texture and the soft image of the camera. One issue I had was that in some of the shots, you will notice some extreme pixelation/interlaced which Patrick said was due to extreme chroma overload -- or something along those lines. I'm not technical. If anyone knows how to fix that up, that'd be great!

Let me know what you think. If you can offer any advice on shooting and post workflow, that would be awesome as I've never really used this camera before.

2. Collapse Details
    now sure what you are using to edit, but in sony vegas you can fix this with chroma blur.

3. Collapse Details
    Cool, thanks! I edited in Premiere Pro CC. I'm sure I'll be able to find a chroma blur option in there.

4. Collapse Details
    Just as a note --

Your sound levels are WAAAAAAAAAAY too loud. They're averaging a peak of -2 dB, and clipping often. If your background music is averaging higher than -15, you need to take a look at it.

(This is a pet peeve of mine, considering how almost all internet videos these days are ridiculously loud, even from people who you'd think would know better.)
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY