Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What to buy for my first tungsten light?
    Seeing as how tungsten lights are so cheap on Ebay. I been looking to buy some mole richardson or arri. However, what wattage do you think I should go with for my first light. I want to be able to shoot this light through silk or some type of diffusion or make a book light out of it.

2. Collapse Details
    There are so many options. Consider a 650 Fresnel. It provides a decent amount of light, it's not too big/heavy to transport, it's easy on the wall socket and it can be scrimmed, dimmed, or fitted with a smaller bulb if you find it has too much light.

It may not have the power you are looking for to use as a book light depending upon the application. Maybe you need something bigger for what you want to do.

3. Collapse Details
    you can always dim/scrim DOWN a light thats too powerful for a given situation (or move it back if theres room), but you cant make it brighter if it isnt bright enough. therefore the less you have, the higher I'd be inclined to go with wattage (up to a point, you dont want something that wont work on a 15a circuit). that said, I would agree on a 650 as a middle of the road solution...not too powerful, not too weak.

4. Collapse Details
    650w, then get 2x 300w, then 1k - makes sure they are REAL Arris (or Moles). Then one of those Arri rolling cases.
    Patryk Rebisz
    director/DP
    www.ShoulderTheLion.com - my feature-length documentary
    www.TupeloProductions.com - my production company
    www.PatrykRebisz.com - my directing/DP work
    gear, gear, gear for rent in NYC area!!! >>> www.PatrykRebisz.com/lights.html
    (917) 291-2565

5. Collapse Details
    Buy a 650 Arri Fresnel and buy some 650W bulbs as well as 300W bulbs...and yes, the 300w bulbs fit in the 650.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

6. Collapse Details
    1k baby, they are just so cheap and plentiful. You can always scrim it down.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    1k baby, they are just so cheap and plentiful. You can always scrim it down.
    They sure are extremely cheap. Do you know if baby are good for book light? Also how much powerdraw do they take?

8. Collapse Details
    Just to get terms straight, the power draw is 1000 watts (1k is 1000 watts). The current draw is 8.3 amps. So you can run one of these on a 15 amp outlet and two on a 20 amp outlet.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    depending on what kind of stuff youre working on, you may not be making book lights as often as you think. you may be pressed for and space and have to settle for pounding it through a simple piece of diffusion, bouncing it into foamcore (or similar) or even putting a Chimera/softbox on it.

Any light will work for a book light, BUT...I believe you more or less lose half your light with each bounce. so if a booklight is two bounces, youre looking at your 1k being a 250 by the time it actually hits the subject.

10. Collapse Details
    If you're doing bounce, a fresnel is a waste of money in most cases. Why would you focus a light that you want soft? An open faced light with decent barn doors is cheaper, and more versatile for bounce or diffusing.

If you are really limited in lights, start with fresnels since they are great direct lights. But keep your eye out for decent open faced units.

I really love having rectangular theatrical units. They take "work light" style lamps from 100w to 1K (that cost a couple bucks each in the lower wattages), they're cheap and tough. I use them way more than my fresnels for soft lighting.

DSC_0018.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast