Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    For discussion; nicely shot skin tones and discussion around how he obtained them.
    http://www.supertone.dk/#!GH4-Optima...D-C575B9D5F4B6

Looking forward to testing out these settings and tweaking as needed.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I didn't really care for the way that looked, but I respect that it's a subjective decision and it was achieved with thought and study.

The skin tones seemed somewhat sallow and over-smoothed. I can think of potential situations where I might aim for that look, though (apocalyptica, depression-era tales, period war films).

Thanks for the link

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm with mc bob - not sure I like the white balance in this footage.
    GH4, Contax Zeiss primes, Ninja Blade, Avid Symphony

4. Collapse Details
    Quickly testing these settings myself, my initial impression is that I like them. I was worried it would be too contrasty, but it gives images a nice three dimensionality, and I find if I lift the shadows a bit the detail is still there and pretty clean. The skin tones aren't too pink and the saturation boosts nicely in post. I wouldn't go by the white balance in his footage, it might not have been set properly.
    Last edited by Batutta; 01-27-2015 at 07:30 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    I put them in my GH4...
    I have the usual Cine-D settings (but without too much of the totally wound out -5 thing) I also have a Natural Setup as well (both in C1 and 2).
    I just put his in exactly like he described, and shot some footage comparing the skin tone tests against my other profiles.

I have to say I was stunned at the difference, skins lost that pinkish orange look, the highlight falloff was way better and the contrast was a lot better, it really was a massive improvement...and I have owned the GH4
    for many months a done a slot of tests and shoots on it.
    I also shot a nice close up of a Les Paul guitar with a lot of shine on it from the window (knowing that...this kind of shot really stresses the highlights) the result? beautiful!! it really had a cinematic look to it because the
    falloff was nice and smooth even tho the light was very contrasty.
    All I can say is try it!!! YMMV ...but for me...this really is a big step forward.
    Last edited by astromann; 01-28-2015 at 03:41 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by astromann View Post
    I put them in my GH4...
    I have the usual Cine-D settings (but without too much of the totally wound out -5 thing) I also have a Natural Setup as well (both in C1 and 2).
    I just put his in exactly like he described, and shot some footage comparing the skin tone tests against my other profiles.

I have to say I was stunned at the difference, skins lost that pinkish orange look, the highlight falloff was way better and the contrast was a lot better, it really was a massive improvement.
    Was screwing around some more and what was interesting to me was that if I lowered the contrast from his setting, the pink orange skin tones start to return. No wonder everyone is complaining about salmon/orange skin tones as they are all shooting at the recommended Cine D with contrast at -5. I am also still stunned by how clean the blacks are when you raise them up with these settings and how much detail is lurking in there. It seems counterintuitive, but I think it's better to get a flat look by shooting with these settings and flattening it in post than to shoot flat and increase the contrast later.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Are we still talking about the Portrait setting? I think his examples look great BTW!

8. Collapse Details
    Yep.

9. Collapse Details
    Very interesting settings. I've been using Natural before at around -1 for everything. In the video from that link, I like the color of the skin tones at 1:47 (kid eating the burrito). Everything else seems a little too white/pasty?
    I tried the settings and was fiddling around with it and I think I prefer it on Portrait +3, 0, 0, -2, -1.
    I didn't like it with +4 or +5 contrast. Changing the sharpness didn't really do too much so I just left it at 0, and then lowering the saturation down to -5 was just too white/dead-looking to me. I guess that can be changed with adding more saturation in post, but for out of the camera look, I think -2 was better.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFilms View Post
    Everything else seems a little too white/pasty?
    In its defense, I think this was shot in central Europe in the middle of winter....

After taking some time to revisit this and fiddle around with those settings, I think the guy may be on to something. With a slightly warmer white balance, it takes on a rather nice look

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast