Thread: XLR Inputs

1. Collapse Details
    XLR Inputs
    Hello all,

I still find myself using my HMC40 and still think it's great. Here's my question: I'll be recording more college student presentations from the back of the auditorium. I've used a shotgun mike the past few years and it's just OK. The AV guy said he could run me a long XLR cable off the sound board (the students all speak into podium mics). Yes, I know there is a purpose-built XLR input module for the HMC40, which I do not have. But, I'd rather get a more general one for other DSLRs as well (got my eyes on a GH4).

So, any experience out there with a BeachTec, juicedLink, etc with your HMC40? Which make and model? How did it work out?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Collapse Details
    I purchased the BeachTec DXA-4S and I'm happy with the results. This is a passive unit that does not require power and does not amplify the signal. The main advantage is that there's no extra circuit to add noise to the audio. The two audio adjustment levers on the back were a real plus for adjusting the audio while recording.

I'm sure there are other units that also work, but I've never tried them out.

Bob Diaz

3. Collapse Details
    I used to have a JuicedLink that was very compact & worked nice. Whatever you get, make sure that it has phantom power (P48) as well as good faders that you can adjust while recording without hearing any stepping.

For your shoot, you might be able to just live with a passive XLR to 1/8" adapter. Make sure though that the XLR feed you're getting isn't line level, if it is you will probably need an attenuator to knock down the signal 10-20-30db.

Or you could look into something like the Tascam DR-60. It has XLR inputs, a micout for the camera & a headphone jack too.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

4. Collapse Details
    If you ever consider Azden FMX DSLR, This was my experience : Sound is fine weight and form factor as well, 16 db gain, AA batteries.However RFI from mobile phones, is present, this was a nasty surprise for me.
    I solved the problem building a metal case for the adapter with a belt clip. Now is usable in RFI situations, Also after that bought a Tascam DR70D, that not only provides phantom and amplify the signal but also records
    internally at the same time at 48/24 or 96/24 Uncompressed, Using this not only with the HMC40, but with DSLR as well.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks to all for the valuable input. What it boils down to now, based on your comments, is who pays for this. If I can get my employer to buy it, I'll go for the phantom power:
    Beachtek DXA-SLR ULTRA. It will be useful in the future regardless of what I face. If I'm paying, it will be the: Beachtek DXA-SLR PURE. Far less expensive but will work fine for my immediate needs (no extra amplification circuits but does require powered mics). I hadn't thought about the attenuator. Some name brand models go for less than $40. It's a good idea I did not know about, and will be sure to order it.
    -Steve

6. Collapse Details
    Tascam DR-70D is going to do everything the DXA-SLR Ultra does, but for $160 cheaper, plus it is a recorder, plus it has 4 XLR inputs.

Skip the DXA-SLR Pure. If it doesn't have P48 it isn't worth investing in (unless you know 100% that you will never need P48). If you don't get P48 now, you'll have to buy something else down the line which does.

If you're using your own money, look on eBay. There is a CX231 for $75 right now. 2 XLR inputs with P48, thing is super tiny & gives good sound.

It's nice that both those Beachtek's have meters & headphone jacks, but in my opinion those are almost useless. When I record audio, I want to monitor audio of what I'm recording, not what I'm sending to be recorded. I could have great levels on the Beachtek but horrible levels on my camera & then I'll end up with horrible levels on my recording.

If you don't have a headphone jack on your camera, then get an external recorder & send audio to the camera & the recorder. It might be fine in camera, but if not then you have a backup which you were monitoring the entire time you're recording.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by zijital View Post
    Tascam DR-70D is going to do everything the DXA-SLR Ultra does, but for $160 cheaper, plus it is a recorder, plus it has 4 XLR inputs.

Skip the DXA-SLR Pure. If it doesn't have P48 it isn't worth investing in (unless you know 100% that you will never need P48). If you don't get P48 now, you'll have to buy something else down the line which does.

If you're using your own money, look on eBay. There is a CX231 for $75 right now. 2 XLR inputs with P48, thing is super tiny & gives good sound.

It's nice that both those Beachtek's have meters & headphone jacks, but in my opinion those are almost useless. When I record audio, I want to monitor audio of what I'm recording, not what I'm sending to be recorded. I could have great levels on the Beachtek but horrible levels on my camera & then I'll end up with horrible levels on my recording.

If you don't have a headphone jack on your camera, then get an external recorder & send audio to the camera & the recorder. It might be fine in camera, but if not then you have a backup which you were monitoring the entire time you're recording.
    +1 to everything zijital said.

The Tascam DR-70D is some $60 more on B&H - for a device that's over $200, the difference between $240 and $299 is negligible given what you get with the DR-70D compared to the Beachtek DXA-SLR PURE. It makes no sense to shell out $240 when for just $60 more you get 3 times the gear capability.