Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    6D + ML HDMI out question
    Do the 6D + ML enable FHD clean HDMI output?

2. Collapse Details
    Yes. I've used it with an Atomos recorder. It worked just fine, but it seemed we could only get it to output the ENTIRE sensor image - meaning no widescreen. So we just cut out a 16:9 piece of paper and used to as guides to put black tape on the top and bottom of the screen to show where the borders would be. Super easy.
    And as a plus - the final footage will still be the whole frame, so some re-framing can still be done in editing.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Yes. I've used it with an Atomos recorder. It worked just fine, but it seemed we could only get it to output the ENTIRE sensor image - meaning no widescreen. So we just cut out a 16:9 piece of paper and used to as guides to put black tape on the top and bottom of the screen to show where the borders would be. Super easy.
    And as a plus - the final footage will still be the whole frame, so some re-framing can still be done in editing.
    What version of ML did you use that worked for this?

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I can't recall what version - but it was new as of this spring. So not more than 5 or 6 months old.

5. Collapse Details
    What's the resolution of the image from the HDMI out and what's the resolution of the image cropped to 16:9?

6. Collapse Details
    Here's the interesting - the editor said it cropped DOWN to 1920x1080...which I remember finding interesting because it meant we were actually getting more from the sensor than we could from in-camera recording. It seemed too good to be true - but we never took the time to go in and try to solve the puzzle of exactly what we were getting.

EDIT: The ML HDMI capture was only 1620x910. It was sized UP not down.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 01-17-2015 at 09:51 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks but sorry, it seems to me that my above questions are unanswered (resolution from the HDMI out and resolution of the images cropped to 16:9).

8. Collapse Details
    Ok Joshua - I got the exact numbers.
    It's not as good as we hoped for. But we did tests and I can say for certain that this slightly smaller image still looked much better than the in-camera compressed image. When using a 6D I would always want to record to the Atomos - it killed the in-camera compression in our test shots.
    Our final 16:9 video is 1620x910. Yes, a slightly lower resolution - but a better image. If you already have a 6D you can try this test yourself too. You'll be surprised at the improvements in color and in fine detail.

This is from the Magic Lantern Wiki:

Limitations

While these devices are capable of recording 1080p 422 signals, the HDMI output from the Canon HDMI is limited to 1620x1080 (3:2) while the camera is not recording.

This requires the user to crop the footage from the external recorder to 1620x910 (16:9) and then resize it to either 1280x720 (79%) or 1920x1080 (119%).

When the camera is recording, HDMI output resolution is limited to only 720x480 (effective image resolution is 640x388, which represents a stretched 3:2 frame).
    Last edited by DPStewart; 01-17-2015 at 09:49 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks.
    I don't own a 6D, I own 2 x 600D (T3i), I thought of maybe purchasing 6D, but now I'm not sure.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post

This is from the Magic Lantern Wiki:

Limitations

While these devices are capable of recording 1080p 422 signals, the HDMI output from the Canon HDMI is limited to 1620x1080 (3:2) while the camera is not recording.

This requires the user to crop the footage from the external recorder to 1620x910 (16:9) and then resize it to either 1280x720 (79%) or 1920x1080 (119%).

When the camera is recording, HDMI output resolution is limited to only 720x480 (effective image resolution is 640x388, which represents a stretched 3:2 frame).
    Is it unique to 6D, or does it apply to all Canon DSLRs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast