1. Collapse Details
    New Tokina 11-16mm - is it a Dud??
    Hello,

I just received delivery of a Tokina 11-16mm DXII for my Canon D600 from HDEW Cameras.

Two major issues:

I want this lens for video. In Live view at 11mm the crop is more like 50mm. When I switch to manual still mode its a lovely wide 11mm.

I am new to the camera and lens am I missing something??

Secondly, every time I change aperture there is a loud click. I read innumerable reviews recommending this lens for video so this canít be right, right???

Any help appreciated , Cheers

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You habe accidentally switched the camera to the 3x Crop Mode which is a video feature of the 600D.
    Go into the menu, and into the resolution/framerate selection, and disable/enable crop mode by turning the main dial. (the camera will tell you what to do just go to the resolution tab)

This is should get the lens back to the stills wide normal mode.

As of iris sound, I don't own one so I have no idea, but if I remember correctly it did produce a little click when changing the iris, nothing major. I don't chang iris while recording anyhow unless it:'s a stepless ring and I have no other choice.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you Ebrahim, You are correct I had accidentally switched to x3 Crop. The Clicking of the iris I really don't like - my Canon lenses make no click whatsoever and I would really like to be able to change exposure while filming if I like. Is this really a rare issue while shooting video??

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    If you can hear the aperture clicking in your audio then you aren't recording audio properly.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by egproductions View Post
    If you can hear the aperture clicking in your audio then you aren't recording audio properly.
    To be a little less vague, good audio is usually not just using the camera mic (or a mic mounted to the camera).

I usually prefer to have a mic less than a foot away from the audio source I'm trying to record if I want to hear the audio clearly. That usually means either a lav clipped on someone, a boom mic (mounted to a light stand if the person isn't moving), or a hand held mic.

A $100 mic used properly will sound better than a $1,000 mic used poorly.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?