Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ben, any updates?
    FS7 & other

2. Collapse Details
    Yep. Defy couldn't make the G5 work with the FS7 even when they upgraded parts. Subsequently they have returned it to me and I've sold it and am giving up on gimbals for now
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Instagram

3. Collapse Details
    Oh, that's sad You mean, completely? Not sure about them, which one to get for fs7. Recently I've seen my friend with ronin and BMPC4K in pain, all sweaty after one hour of working with it (with easy rig!!). It's just too heavy :/
    FS7 & other

4. Collapse Details
    Yep. With an A7 is was taking ages to set up ready to shoot and I don't have that sort of time on a production.

More interested in the DJI osmo

2017 Reel

Website
    Instagram

5. Collapse Details
    Isnt the weight of a Ronin with a FS7 pretty much the same as a Glidecam HD4000?

A gimbal with an Easyrig is better than a Glidecam with west, arm, and glider, no?

Too bad with the long start up times for the gimbal. I have been looking into buying a Ronin. With my HD4000 i almost just pick it up, shoot the scene, and pack it down again within minutes literally. (I have the front plate of the FS7 tuned pretty much perfect with the quick release on the glider, so i know where the balance is).

6. Collapse Details
    The Ronin has auto-calibration I think which might cut that time down immeasurably, although I believe you need the extension arms to use the FS7 with it.

2017 Reel

Website
    Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.G View Post
    Isnt the weight of a Ronin with a FS7 pretty much the same as a Glidecam HD4000?

A gimbal with an Easyrig is better than a Glidecam with west, arm, and glider, no?

Too bad with the long start up times for the gimbal. I have been looking into buying a Ronin. With my HD4000 i almost just pick it up, shoot the scene, and pack it down again within minutes literally. (I have the front plate of the FS7 tuned pretty much perfect with the quick release on the glider, so i know where the balance is).
    Hi Martin,

I sold the Glidecam HD4000 and got a Ronin. They both have plus and minuses

Ronin Pros
    1) Easy and quick to balance compared to Glidecam
    2) I use an Atlas Camera Vest and it works pretty well and is cheap-ish at $400.
    3) The vest for a Ronin is much smaller and simpler than the vest needed for the Glidecam. Both systems need vests for any kind of real use. FS7 is heavy on both.
    4) Shoot low angles. This was huge for me as I love low angles. The Glidecam needed to be flipped for low angles = pain in the butt.
    5) A bit smoother than Glidecam
    6) Can operate with remote.

Glidecam Pros
    1) No electronics. This is HUGE, as Ronin's are notoriously un-reliablable. On the Facebook page there are numerous reports of it not working properly. I actually wish I kept the Glidecam as a backup to the Ronin. On any decent paid gig that requires the Ronin, I would rent a backup just in case.
    2) Pan and Tilt are much easier an quicker on the Glidecam.
    3) A lot cheaper.

It's a tough call between the two. Like I said, the Ronin is un-reliable and has a higher than comfort failure rate which makes me real nervous. I wish I had kept the Glidecam as a backup. The Ronin is easier to balance and get smooth shots without much practice, but I like the manual aspects of the Glidecam better.
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gene_can_sing View Post
    Hi Martin,

I sold the Glidecam HD4000 and got a Ronin. They both have plus and minuses
    Thank you for this.

Im still in the thinking box. I dont really do a lot of these types of shots. I rarely use my Glidecam too, so im not sure what ill do, but i have found a Ronin at an exceptionally good price, so im pondering.

Thing is, i like the no-electronic aspect of Glidecam, but im not getting smooth consistent results, and i dont think i will earn my money back if i waste time training to learn it properly. Looks like gimbals are taking over by the looks of Glidecam used prices anyway. Been trying to sell my X-10 vest and arm for quite some time.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    I'm led to believe that the FS7 (with top handle removed) will work very well with the DJI Ronin if you get the DJI (or 3rd party) arm extensions.

Just wondering about any other success people have had with other systems, from the higher end MOVI and DEFY types to the cheapy Came-TV or now MOZA systems.

Obviously any example footage would be great to see too.
    I have a Nebula 4000 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._handheld.html. It's really a great device and it's stability is amazing. I did a shot of a building for a cover shot. Rather boring so I did a walk up and then just held a wide shot. In post the shot looked like I was on a dolly. I mean you could have run graphics over the video it was so steady. Only con is the battery is self-contained so you can't change out. You get 3 or so hours off one charge and then it takes that long to charge it back up. You can get a battery pack however. For my usage, it's just fine.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.G View Post
    Thank you for this.

Im still in the thinking box. I dont really do a lot of these types of shots. I rarely use my Glidecam too, so im not sure what ill do, but i have found a Ronin at an exceptionally good price, so im pondering.

Thing is, i like the no-electronic aspect of Glidecam, but im not getting smooth consistent results, and i dont think i will earn my money back if i waste time training to learn it properly. Looks like gimbals are taking over by the looks of Glidecam used prices anyway. Been trying to sell my X-10 vest and arm for quite some time.
    If you rarely use your Glidecam, I would just keep that and save some money. The non-electronic nature of the Glidecam is a plus IMO, as it's easier to control and you don't have to worry about electronic malfunctions (which are common with Ronin).

The Ronin is a bit easier to get smooth shots without any practice.
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast