Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New computer for Premiere iMac vs PC (price)
    I am finally ready to upgrade my laptop editing system to a serious desktop rig. I have always disliked macs, but the wife loves them so I resigned myself to Apple. I wanted an i7 with at least 16gb of RAM. When I went to the Apple Store I found the cheapest way to get this was in a 21.5" iMac for $1900. I did a quick google and found an ASUS with a faster i7 and 16gb of RAM and a larger hard drive for $900.

Is there any real reason I should pay $1,000 more for an apple vs a PC. Please tell me there's some huge noticeable difference in rendering speeds or something!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Oh boy. Here we go.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, polemic debate between PC and Mac.

Many people prefer pc workstations because they can achieve similar or superior performance at lower prices compared to macs. However, because macs are built with parts that are specifically designed to work only with Mac parts inside a given assembly (as opposed to the PC generic parts assembly), some people would suggest that macs are more stable and slightly more efficient. I cannot corroborate this efficiency opinion because I don't have extensive experience with anything other than macs.

Also, in the past, PCs were more susceptible to viruses than macs. Most of the world uses pc, so hackers tended to code viruses for mass damage...therefore targeting PCs. I'm not sure if this is still the case, though.

This is a contested debate, and it's worth mentioning that PC merely stands for Personal Computer and Machintosh's fall into this category as well. The debate is more correctly stated between operating systems (Mac vs Windows) taking into account the closed architecture of apples products and the generic assembly often achieved with computers built to run Windows operating system.

I jumped on the 2014 Mac Pro bandwagon because I wanted to use FCPX with the dual GPU configuration. However, if the IMac isn't offering dual GPU's, this is a moot point. Also, there are people out there doing amazing things with so called "hackingtosh's".

In the long run, I think it's just preference, what you can afford, and something that will do the job for you...for like, 18-30 months. Although I'm sure others may have differing opinions that may be more valuable/helpful to you

4. Collapse Details
    All I can say is I have a 2009 MacPro that is used extensively every day, and it's chugging along without any warranty claims or servicing whatsoever for nearly six years now.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    I like my Mac and it works well. It's not any faster or better than a PC equivalent, but I'm happy to pay extra for the operating system and design. Put simply, I like using it more so I bought it. You should do the same, whichever way you tend to lean.
    Nate Haustein

PXW-FS5 / iMac i7 / FCPX

6. Collapse Details
    Happy wife, happy life.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    All I can say is I have a 2009 MacPro that is used extensively every day, and it's chugging along without any warranty claims or servicing whatsoever for nearly six years now.
    Ha, me too. And mine was bought from the refurb store. Still is my workhorse edit machine. Through the
    years, I have upgraded to 16 gigs of RAM, put in a new video card, 3 hard drives (making myself a RAID)
    and a internal Blu Ray burner. Those old MacPros were something with how easy they were to expand.
    I may even try to just pop a new CPU in this one as it is possible to do that as well.

8. Collapse Details
    FWIW - just purchased an iMac 2013 with the 3.5 i7 - GTX780M - 16g Ram
    Moving from a MacPro 1.1 - FCP7 to Adobe Premier CC on this new iMac
    added a BlackMagic Mini Monitor for SDI-HDMI playback & a RS Thunderbolt docking station for all the JBOD's that cycled in and out of the MacPro.
    so...
    In Premier I'm getting realtime playback in "Full" from Red 4k
    ProRes HQ is a breeze
    Davinci Resolve is solid
    Both apps use the Mini Monitor
    Exports are lighting fast.
    Very solid workstation.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    I can say the same thing about an HP desktop from 2007. I am happily color correcting on this machine as we speak - no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Longevity is not an Apple exclusive.

10. Collapse Details
    I am leaning toward biting the bullet and getting the iMac. It just hurts so much. I very much dislike MacOS. One thing I really do like about Macs is the resale value is tremendous. I was looking at buying a used iMac, but they almost cost as much as a new one.
    There are two things really making me lean. 1. My sister-in-law has a spare license for Adobe CS6 full suite. 2. I have $300 in Apple gift cards I received for Christmas. I think David said it best. Happy wife, happy life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast