1. Collapse Details
    Premiere CC Windows 8 ALT + Space Bar Issue
    I've searched and found that a lot of Illustrator users have had this issue but it's happening with me in Premiere all the time and I can't find a fix.

Basically, everytime I hit the space bar (play) after pressing the ATL key, Premiere/Windows gets confused, the top left menu comes up and I get a system beep. Apparently this is because after hitting ALT, the focus goes to the menu bar and since I'm hitting Space Bar, the system beeps because it is not a valid keyboard shortcut. I can hit ESC or just click anywhere inside Premiere to dismiss it, but its getting very frustrating.

Does anyone have this problem? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the menu that pops up:

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by atlfokus View Post
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Stop hitting the ALT key.

Seriously, there's a reason it's recommended against as a modifier.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Stop hitting the ALT key.

Seriously, there's a reason it's recommended against as a modifier.
    I should of mentioned that I've just crossed over to the Windows world, so I'm still getting my bearings straight.

So I use the ALT key all the time for zooming the timeline (ALT+Scroll wheel) and to select only either the audio or the video of any clip. Should I modify the keyboard shortcut to use different keys besides ALT? If it's recommended against as a modifier, why does Adobe use it as one?

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    I forgot about the zoom thing as I use the + and - keys for zooming. Good point about selecting just part of a clip, though.

I wouldn't recommend changing the shortcuts, my suggestion was actually based on the idea that you had already done so to use the ALT key and that you should undo that.

I guess you'll just need to be careful about which windows are highlighted when you do use ALT.

5. Collapse Details
    ALT+Space is a Windows built in accelerator. You can't easily override it. As a result ALT+scroll wheel to zoom may not be so smart since it increases the chance you will hit ALT+space. My mouse (a Steel Series Sensei) I have setup some per-app accelerators on it's extra buttons for zooming in Sonar (haven't done it for Premiere but the same thing is possible). Each time I press one of the two side buttons it zooms in or out 5 times by sending the Sonar zoom key command 5 times. Might be able to work something like that out for your Premiere work. Or just use a different set of accelerators (ctl+shift+wheel maybe?)

You also might be able to setup some keyboard macros using the free AutoHotKey3 app http://www.autohotkey.com/ You can do some amazing things with it, though you do have to launch it when you run Premiere.
    Matt Sorrels