1. Collapse Details
    New to the Sony FS100u, I have several questions about Picture Profile & Color Grade
    Hello everyone! I just recently purchased the Sony FS100u and I know the camera is a bit old, but I thought it would be a good jump from the DSLRs I have been using. I have several questions since this camera is a bit more complex than DSLRs.

Picture Profiles vs Color Grading? I understand the camera records 8bit 4.2.0 and can only output 8bit 4.2.2; therefore, if i don't get an external recorder, I will not have much room in Post to color grade without degradation happening. So, is it better to create and use picture profiles and do a minimal color grade in Post or should I not use Picture Profiles and shoot flat and do a more intense grade? If I do choose to film with a PP, how should I go about grading?

Can you import picture profiles and/or LUTs into the camera to achieve a desired look via SD card?

Finally, I've seen a lot of Picture Profiles available for me to try out, but I'd like to test out some of my own, but I'm still trying to understand what Gamma, Knee, etc does to my image. Disclaimer: I did watch Matt Davis's video, and it helped a bit, but humbly I need some more help, I never did any of this stuff on DSLRs.

I am very grateful for any help I can get.

2. Collapse Details
    Hello, the FS100 is a very good choice, to me it's better to choose an PP (AB_NORM from abelcine) with good black level setup and do grading with this 420 8 bits codec with for exemple redgiant magic bullet looks.
    Forget lut it's not for this camera due to the codec.
    The better way is to enter all your picture profils manually and save it on SDcard with camera's menu but don't forget to save the Sony/Setting directory (create by camera) on your computer because when you will format sdcard all your data will be erase.
    I hope that will help some FS100 users.
    here is abelcine:
    http://blog.abelcine.com/2012/05/23/...ne/#more-17981
    and G-log from Frank Glencairn
    https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...he-sony-fs100/
    Rudo.

3. Collapse Details
    The FS100 might have been around for a while but its still a brilliant camera. Discovered Sam Morgan Moore's Ferrari profile a while back and have rarely used anything else since.

As far as grading goes, shoot as close as you can to the finished result and all should be well. You can push the footage quite a way before it starts falling apart. The image from my canon dslr falls apart way sooner than the footage from my FS100.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    I like the Strapping profile as well. Ultimately, there's no one profile that fits every situation. And to be honest, there's nothing really wrong with shooting without any profile active at all, especially for corporate and run & gun stuff.

6. Collapse Details
    This camera is still a beast:

G-log ultimate: Best looking skin colours and out of cam image, but some tints of red/orange/bordeaux might not be very accurate. So if you shoot stuff like fashion I would be careful with this one. Otherwise it's the best.
    Abelcine: 2nd best for me, and more accurate colours. AB norm for normal shooting, and AB range when you need extra dynamic range when there is a window or bright sky or whatever. They also have a daylight setting which I used on a very bright sunny day once and I was quite impressed.
    Other profiles: Don't know.

I found the image even without external recorder good for basic colour grading, but I would get as much done in camera as you can. I wouldn't use an extra recorder, not worth the effort IMO. If you care THAT much about grading you might want to get a newer camera.

Good luck with the cam!