1. Collapse Details
    HVX200 replacement
    Looking to replace my HVX200 and having trouble finding something comparable. I need a camera that I can use on Ustream or other streaming services and that I can use with Final Cut Pro and iMovie (for this quick, simple jobs). I also need the ability to easily offload onto a thumb drive that I send off to a local TV station for a broadcast. (Currently I do this by recording on a FS-100 and then hooking that to my MacBook Pro to transfer an hour's worth of video onto a 16gig thumb drive.) In researching options, it seems that I need Firewire and a lot of the new cameras don't have it. I don't use tape much any more so would like to go tapeless and get something smaller than the HVX, preferably under $1,500. I am fine with buying used.

Recommendations?

2. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a job for the HPX170!

3. Collapse Details
    So this won't fulfill your price point, unfortunately... but (theoretically) you could use essentially any modern camera with dual SD recording slots and either HDMI or SDI output; dual-record and send off the duplicate card to the station, and send the HDMI/SDI signal into a Teradek Cube, VidiU, or Livestream Broadcaster to stream directly to your preferred service, skipping the laptop. Or, perhaps one of the HDMI-to-laptop solutions like the Blackmagic Intensity products.

Unfortunately seems Firewire is quite thoroughly dead, so you'll never find a current viable option utilizing that again.

Now, to really blow your mind, there are options coming which record and stream directly in-camera. Think you could expand your budget by the bulk and hassle this would save?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l/prm/alsVwDtl
    Last edited by mcbob; 12-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    When I was looking to replace my HVX, short of the HPX, the question ended up having to be which function of the HVX do I replace because nothing does it all (at a pricepoint at least). After endless agonising I ended up buying the BMPCC during the sale and keeping the HVX for the million things the BMPCC doesn't do. I've been getting some corporate work through my existing employer and when I need a reliable bulletproof workflow and a camera that does it all (even if it can't see indoors and needs to go on a diet). It's honestly only in comparison to screengrabs from newer cameras on here that give me pixel envy, it's still got the mojo and the workflow and noone I've delivered to have ever complained. Its sheer size is what got me attention in the first place when I turned up to film something as a favour and a bunch of managers just happened to be there and came over to check it out. Since then I've been treated like the real deal (and still haven't given the game away - fake it til you make it!). Love ya HVX!

5. Collapse Details
    HVX is just a best camera I ever seen. I have BMPC4K now and it cant replace my HVX in a lot of cases.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I've moved on but I'll be a HVX fanboy for life. Never has a piece of tech given me so much back.

7. Collapse Details
    hpx170 is the logical upgrade. but it only shoots to P2 or out firewire or sdi (or component/composite. but those dont really apply to your needs). so long form or direct streaming can get cumbersome or relatively expensive.

if you want to stay with panasonic, for your stated needs id probably go with the hmc150. it has HDMI out. so you can direct connect to the stand-alone streaming devices. and it shoots to cheap SD cards so your hour or longer recordings wont require large or multiple relatively expensive p2 cards. and it still has the benefit of the hvx/hpx footprint - CCD instead of CMOS (so no worry about "jello"), pro audio ins, live audio monitoring, servo zoom. built in nd, etc... the menus and overall feel isnt quite as "pro" as the hpx170 and the image isnt quite as good as an hpx170 either. but youd have to use them side by side to tell.

if you want to go with a smaller camera. the canon xa 10 and 20 are pretty popular and have most of the same features as the hmc150. though they are both CMOS. but so are pretty much ALL new cameras.
    Last edited by wgzn; 12-10-2014 at 12:08 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I now have an FS7, but still use the HVX on a weekly basis for run of the mill jobs. Give it enough light and it will never disappoint.
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

9. Collapse Details
    Also agree that the HPX170 is a good choice. I have seen them used around $1000.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

10. Collapse Details
    Add me to the list for the HPX170. I just switched from an old HVX200 to the HPX170 and it was a very smooth transition.