Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zoom Lens (that I can zoom with while shooting)
    I have the 14-140 lens, but I can't zoom while shooting (the focus goes soft and the light flickers).

Is there a zoom for under $1,500 that will let me zoom while shooting?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    I have the 14-140 lens, but I can't zoom while shooting (the focus goes soft and the light flickers).

Is there a zoom for under $1,500 that will let me zoom while shooting?
    Sure. However, you are not going to get a 10x zoom range with a constant aperture.
    If you want to zoom without the image 'getting darker' zooms like the 50-150, 70-200,
    17-50, and 24-70 are all options (obviously you will need an adapter.) Panasonic has some
    MFT power zoom lenses as well, but I'm not sure if they are constant aperture as I shoot
    Super 35 not MFT.

3. Collapse Details
    If you can live with a short the zoom, the Olympus 12-40 is excellent. I use it with the Lumix 35-100 and the combination works well, only one lens change, and the overlap of the focal lengths gives me a little room to maneuver. I seldom zoom in a shot, but when I do the Olympus holds aperture and focus.

4. Collapse Details
    Look into an old vivitar series 1 lens. Them and Kiron make some old vintage lenses that I believe are 28-90/105mm that are f3.8 or f4.5. Would probably need a speed booster to go with them and they are push style lenses so you can focus and zoom at the same time.

5. Collapse Details
    I have and use a Vivtar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5. While it is very nice in certain situations, it is extremely varifocal... The moment you zoom, you lose focus.

I run a set of 3 zooms in Nikon G mount with Speedboosters for zoomy work: Tokina 11-16, Sigma 18-35, and Sigma 50-150. When the Speedbooster is properly collimated they are all parfocal with constant aperture and non-extending with repeatable focus. The two Sigmas are even approximately the same size for quick changes with follow focus.
    Last edited by mcbob; 11-28-2014 at 08:46 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    The Canon 35-105/f3.5 FD is parfocal, nice image, adapters avaiable and around $150. I use one and built a zoom motor attachment.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    I have and use a Vivtar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5. While it is very nice in certain situations, it is extremely varifocal... The moment you zoom, you lose focus.

I run a set of 3 zooms in Nikon G mount with Speedboosters for zoomy work: Tokina 11-16, Sigma 18-35, and Sigma 50-150. When the Speedbooster is properly collimated they are all parfocal with constant aperture and non-extending with repeatable focus. The two Sigmas are even approximately the same size for quick changes with follow focus.
    Darn thats a shame. Any other recommendation for a zoom in that focal range? Maybe sigmas new 24-105. (Would go good with the 18-35 and 50-150 lenses). Might be a little bit better for run n gun shooting

8. Collapse Details
    Minolta "Beercan" 70-210 lens is parfocal, sharp and cheap. At f4.0 constant, you're not as fast as the bigger 70-210 f2.8's, but it's much lighter and easily more affordable. I use mine on the Sony FS-100 with an adapter. Other than the front focus ring being very thin (and nearly frictionless), it's a fantastic bargain-priced parfocal zoom.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by banolan View Post
    The Canon 35-105/f3.5 FD is parfocal, nice image, adapters avaiable and around $150. I use one and built a zoom motor attachment.
    My favourite long-range manual zoom. Don't forget internal focus and zoom so there's no lengthening of the lens at any time.
    Looks and feels far more expensive than it is.
    T h e E l e c t r i c P i g L t d .
    nuker, pfarmer & general pixelmonkey
    www.electricpig.net

10. Collapse Details
    I use ENG B4 lenses with 2x extender. You need a B4-M4/3 adapter of course and you'll go full manual (aperture and focus). But they are parfocal and you can get a powered zoom. SD models can be found on eBay for a nice price. They are a bit soft, but very usable I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast