Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Senior Member Crosby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    Ok Crosby , I'm out for 15 days so this is the picture, is a very valuable item, Personally use the EVF most of the time

    Attachment 93946
    Just fits over the stock? Cool. Thanks. 15-days? Big shoot? Have fun with whatever it is.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member Ed Kishel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,546
    Default
    the hmc40 is one hardy little camera- at my old job we were real tough on them, and they still purr like they just came out of the box. They'll still be out there shooting when we have 16k smartphones.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member Crosby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kishel View Post
    the hmc40 is one hardy little camera- at my old job we were real tough on them, and they still purr like they just came out of the box. They'll still be out there shooting when we have 16k smartphones.
    I'm liking it so far, especially the size. Big enough to hand hold and get to controls, small enough to be able to carry around and shoot. The trend to miniaturize pro/prosumer video cameras is a bit off-putting to me.

    I have the EVF and LCD setup so I'm happy with them now. A few buttons and menus are "different" and having to set a User button in order to access a few things, vs. just using a menu, is puzzling as it limits the number of user buttons you actually have. Image quality is very good. When you need a lot of DOF a small sensor is a good thing!

    Reading the manual and Barry's book and playing with it everyday. Need to learn to set it to match my handheld meter, how to read its waveform meter, how to lock focus and exposure, and see how close I can get it to match my GH2s.

    Don't tell anyone, but I like the auto mode on it, too.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, the state.
    Posts
    3,604
    Default
    Every time I think about selling my 40, I just can't. It is the little cam that can. The shortcomings are well known: the evf and flip out are pretty mediocre and lowlight shooting is not its strong point. But I never thought it was terrible in low light either, just give it half a chance. You can live with the VF issues since it has deep DOF. Play with the scene files to match your gh2 and make sure to ditch the stock ones, they are pretty bad. If you dig around you'll find plenty on this and the Barry books are excellent.

    One really important thing is to keep the aperture bellow f/5.6 or your image will go soft. The ND thingy isn't strong enough in bright daylight to do this. So one of your first accessories should be some collection of ND filtration. A polarizer, .6 and .9 filters is a good start. Take a look at the Cinetactics fabric mattboxes for mounting full size filters.

    Regardless of its shortcomings, the little cam just has a great mojo; a combination of features, IQ, size and price that is pretty tough to match.

    Grant
    Last edited by ggrantly; 11-26-2014 at 09:52 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member Crosby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Every time I think about selling my 40, I just can't. It is the little cam that can. The shortcomings are well known: the evf and flip out are pretty mediocre and lowlight shooting is not its strong point. But I never thought it was terrible in low light either, just give it half a chance. You can live with the VF issues since it has deep DOF. Play with the scene files to match your gh2 and make sure to ditch the stock ones, they are pretty bad. If you dig around you'll find plenty on this and the Barry books are excellent.

    One really important thing is to keep the aperture bellow f/5.6 or your image will go soft. The ND thingy isn't strong enough in bright daylight to do this. So one of your first accessories should be some collection of ND filtration. A polarizer, .6 and .9 filters is a good start. Take a look at the Cinetactics fabric mattboxes for mounting full size filters.

    Regardless of its shortcomings, the little cam just has a great mojo; a combination of features, IQ, size and price that is pretty tough to match.

    Grant
    I'm liking this camera! My Canon HV30 (HDV and tape) has a 43mm thread, too, so I dug out some of the things I'd bought for it. Lots of stepping rings for filters, a heavy Sony .7x, a .5x and a .25x. Will play with things later, after I figure things out -- love that when you go to Manual mode everything stays in Auto until you change them manually, that was a surprise.

    I view the HMC40 more like a "lens". If I want shallow DOF I'll use a GH2 and a fast lens. If I want wide and low distortion I'll use the GH2 and the 7-14mm. Other times I'll use the HMC40 (in a mix of auto and manual, as needed).

    Oh, if I need to work in low light...I'll bring lights.

    I have a Cinetastics mattebox already, but no filters for it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member Crosby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    Ok Crosby , I'm out for 15 days so this is the picture, is a very valuable item, Personally use the EVF most of the time
    Getting more comfortable with the camera and some things are now second nature for me. Got a ND8, the LCD hood and installed the eye-cushion and like it, but it keeps getting knocked off. Semi-tempted to add a couple drops of glue to keep on, either that or being more careful with how I take it out of the bag.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member Felipe Henao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colombia - South America
    Posts
    722
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby! View Post
    Getting more comfortable with the camera and some things are now second nature for me. Got a ND8, the LCD hood and installed the eye-cushion and like it, but it keeps getting knocked off. Semi-tempted to add a couple drops of glue to keep on, either that or being more careful with how I take it out of the bag.
    You don't need any glue just adjust it well make all the edges fit well, dig your finger around the edges.
    Unless you bought the wrong size is this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mois_Oval.html
    As I said before


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member Crosby!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    You don't need any glue just adjust it well make all the edges fit well, dig your finger around the edges.
    Unless you bought the wrong size is this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mois_Oval.html
    As I said before
    That's the one I bought and I did dig around the edges to make sure it's on well. Think it's hitting something every now and then when I take it from the bag that's causing it to come off. Will watch that.

    eyecupCushion.jpg


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •