Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HMC40 - Late to the party intro
    I’ve owned several camcorders over the years, three were HD, all were tape based. I sold my last one to switch to tapeless and large sensor cameras (Panasonic GH2) for shallow depth of field, stills and video. Added things to it to get audio and other things I wanted and ended up with a minor beast to carry around. There have been several situations where I really missed having a camcorder, and not having enough DOF has caused me some hassles — like only being able to use a clip for voiceover as the subject moved out of the designated focus range while saying something important. So I started looking for a camcorder again.

Kind of sucks having to rely on online reviews and videos versus just going into a store with a memory card to run my own tests. I narrowed it down to a few and further down to the AC90 and AC130, neither had I seen in person. In researching I ran into a few messages on DVXuser from Felipe Henao on the HMC40 which I’d never heard of before. I looked at some videos shot on it and decided to add it to my list.

As luck would have it I found a AC130 and HMC40 on craigslist and decided to take a drive (they weren’t close) to see them in person to help me decide. Saw the AC130 first as that was the one I thought I wanted most from what I’d seen online. Current model, long lens, loads of features, etc. Holy cow! Those online videos and pictures did not prepare me for the size of it. When the guy brought it out I was shocked. That’s one BIG camera. Kind of looked like an oversized store display.

Before seeing it in person I thought the people saying "Panasonic likes to make them big” was an exaggeration. I like bigger cameras, took the Canon AF100 off my list as it’s too small, this redefined “big” to me. I picked it up and played with it. Like the controls and way it worked but the size really bothered me. Lovely footage, nice futures, but I couldn’t see me carrying it around for run ’n’ gun, personal shooting, etc. Way too big and conspicuous for my needs. It would have to be on a tripod most of the time and I wanted something I could grab and go with.

Drove to look at the HMC40 and when I saw the size of it I smiled. I picked it up and played with it (17hr) and it felt good in my hands. Stuck in my SD card and shot some footage in auto and played it back. Yeah, this one I could see using. I was just there to see it in person but when I saw what was included in the package I bought it (see below).

Now I’m working on learning by reading the manual, Barry Green’s “The HMC Book” and lots of testing and playing. LOTS of stuff in the menus and features none of my previous HD camcorders had, which means I’m not tossing it into production just yet. Dusted off my Sony 0.7x which works throughout the zoom range. I will be playing for a while. Three user buttons sounds like a lot but from my reading so far I’lll have one for WFM and another for backlight, I’d like a few more.

I plan to use my GH2’s and the HMC40 together, kind of like I use lenses, if I want shallow DOF I’ll use a GH2 with a fast lens, deeper DOF and the HMC40, stills and video the GH2, run 'n' gun play, whatever is closest to the door.

pannyHMC40kit.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Congrats! The HMC book is excellent! The HMC40 is a nice little camera and easy to carry around places. The images it does in good light are very good.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Congrats! The HMC book is excellent! The HMC40 is a nice little camera and easy to carry around places. The images it does in good light are very good.
    The videos I'd seen were quite nice. I put the neck strap over my shoulder and wandered around with it today. Nothing I wanted to shoot but easy to carry with me.

I'm not a low light shooter. If the light is low I either add more light or change locations so I should be good there. Learning to use it. One area of confusion is that there's 3 user buttons and 13 user options. Some I'm not finding elsewhere in menus so it seems a bit odd to only be able to access them, WFM for example, via a user button. I may have missed something.

4. Collapse Details
    It's odd that WFM has to use up a user button, but that's the way it is. At least they offered the feature and it's one that I use a lot.

There isn't a lot of action in the HMC-40 group here, most of us have it in order and don't have much in the way of new things or issues. We hashed that out long ago, but welcome to the group...

Bob Diaz

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post
    It's odd that WFM has to use up a user button, but that's the way it is. At least they offered the feature and it's one that I use a lot.

There isn't a lot of action in the HMC-40 group here, most of us have it in order and don't have much in the way of new things or issues. We hashed that out long ago, but welcome to the group...

Bob Diaz
    Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I know, ergo the "late to the party" part. The nice thing for me is that you all have figured out what I need to know.

6. Collapse Details
    Crosby one item that makes using the EVF a nicer experience is the Blue Star Oval Large Genunie Chamois Eyecushion (Natural Chamois Color)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mois_Oval.html

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    Crosby one item that makes using the EVF a nicer experience is the Blue Star Oval Large Genunie Chamois Eyecushion (Natural Chamois Color)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mois_Oval.html
    Really? Why is it better than the stock one? How's it fit on the HMC40? Got a picture with it on yours I can see?

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    It goes over the stock one , I mean on the stock one is an accesory for the stock one helps with moisture and is very soft , but use the chamois, because is the longer lasting, and softest.
    Today is a busy day so can not make a picture.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    It goes over the stock one , I mean on the stock one is an accesory for the stock one helps with moisture and is very soft , but use the chamois, because is the longer lasting, and softest.
    Today is a busy day so can not make a picture.
    I'd like to see how you have it attached. No rush, I'm deep in learning mode now, buying accessories is a week or so away.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby! View Post
    I'd like to see how you have it attached. No rush, I'm deep in learning mode now, buying accessories is a week or so away.
    Ok Crosby , I'm out for 15 days so this is the picture, is a very valuable item, Personally use the EVF most of the time

chamois.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast