Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrius Simutis View Post
    How can you say it's a movie about nothing? Seinfeld, which was a show about nothing was still about something. To really see a movie about nothing you should watch some of the movies Andy Warhol made.

One of the things that I really liked about Donnie Darko was that like real life, it's not always blatantly obvious what the point or message is. There's a little wiggle room in there, but even so it takes on the themes of death and possibility. Was it better for Donnie Darko to live or die? Was the 28 days just a way to show him why he had to die? Was it really an alternate universe that would collapse back in on itself after 28 days? Was it all really about that awkward wave at the end?
    Either way, it's still a very entertaining movie and leaves you thinking about it long after you've watched it. More than I can say for a lot of the movies that are supposed to be about something.
    Agreed

Donnie Darko is a great film (and from a virtual unknown and first timer?)

From the opening hook of Echo and the Bunnymen and being introduced to Jake and Maggie. it's a wonder Kelly hasn't much since 2009.

The film is not at all about nothing; it's about a family, a kid, darkness, time travel and sci fi. It stands up today. A mark of a great film.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Great feedback and discussion on this, thanks everyone.
    Dennis Hingsberg

3. Collapse Details
    I remember going to see this on its first day out in NYC. For some reason I remember very well it was the day before Halloween, and I blew off a screening of Ginger Snaps (which I had already seen)...to see the film "with the bunny". Totally blew my mind, and it was a favorite for quite awhile. Probably until I saw the directors cut, which added a ton of s*%t to the film. Kinda bummed to see Richard Kelly never really made another good movie after that.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

4. Collapse Details
    I'm listening to the director commentary with Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith (his guest) and its quite interesting.
    Dennis Hingsberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12