Thread: Lens protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikcheck View Post
    Thank you guys!

norvan5 what about image quality? Do you see any difference?
    I don't see any major critical difference because the filters I use are of such good quality. That's not to say there wouldn't be a very minor difference if you seriously pixel-peeped it. You are buying top quality glass and covering it with glass of (arguably) less quality and by so doing are adding another layer where dust etc can settle. But I think the trade-off is worth it because the extra protection you have for your expensive lens is very re-assuring and once you clean the lens before screwing on the filter and then keep the filter clean, you should be fine.

A real life example - I remember shooting a documentary which featured kids at an art camp and my camera was right amongst the kids as they worked with paints and art materials. The amount of times the children came up to the camera and touched the lens with a paint covered finger was really surprising. Lets just say I was so happy I had my lenses covered!

However, I don't use filters if I'm doing narrative work in controlled situations where I need the absolute best image possible.

2. Collapse Details
    thanks a lot norvan.

Yes in those cases, they're absolutely essential!

I think i'll get some Hoya ones for my lenses too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12