Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bill totolo View Post
    Anyone rig an a7s + O7Q + wireless FF to the Helix?
    I tried it this weekend with mixed results.
    I'm trying to get this combo working on a Helix Jr, would be interested in exchanging some ideas, i've PM'd you.

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I'm trying to get this combo working on a Helix Jr, would be interested in exchanging some ideas, i've PM'd you.

cheers
    Paul

I got this working on a full size helix after a lot of toying, but when I finally got a good setup it was perfect. I'll try and post pics the next time I build it up. The most important issue is getting the monitor mount as LOW as possible to the A7S. I'm getting the Letus monitor mount and I think it will work even better than my solution right now (which is basically mouting it right on a nato rail right above the lens at about a 45° angle. Keeping the weight as low as possible helps tons with the helix I'm finding.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by skatajkid View Post
    I got this working on a full size helix after a lot of toying, but when I finally got a good setup it was perfect. I'll try and post pics the next time I build it up. The most important issue is getting the monitor mount as LOW as possible to the A7S. I'm getting the Letus monitor mount and I think it will work even better than my solution right now (which is basically mouting it right on a nato rail right above the lens at about a 45° angle. Keeping the weight as low as possible helps tons with the helix I'm finding.
    I've been balancing on the Jr.

What i've found is that you can use the two vertical rails and put a rod clamp on that and have the monitor over the top and behind the motor at the back, this counterbalances the front. The one thing i found that doesn't work very well was connecting direct to the A7s itself (via a cage) and over to the back, i didn't have much faith in that connection as it would need to be quite long to reach from the camera to behind the motor. I have the Letus monitor mount (the one the site at the moment) but for an O7Q it's a little flimsy and created a bounce.

I would love to see the pics of your arrangement and i'll post some too when i get back home.

My issue are wobbles which i think are motor created, and i hope that's just a tweaking issue. What settings do you have the helix on, there are two weight profiles on the Jr and i've only tried one.

I see a similar wobble on this guys vimeo test, if you look at the edges you will see a wobble that looks artificial

https://vimeo.com/120268112

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

4. Collapse Details
    The JR!!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I've been balancing on the Jr.

What i've found is that you can use the two vertical rails and put a rod clamp on that and have the monitor over the top and behind the motor at the back, this counterbalances the front. The one thing i found that doesn't work very well was connecting direct to the A7s itself (via a cage) and over to the back, i didn't have much faith in that connection as it would need to be quite long to reach from the camera to behind the motor. I have the Letus monitor mount (the one the site at the moment) but for an O7Q it's a little flimsy and created a bounce.

I would love to see the pics of your arrangement and i'll post some too when i get back home.

My issue are wobbles which i think are motor created, and i hope that's just a tweaking issue. What settings do you have the helix on, there are two weight profiles on the Jr and i've only tried one.

I see a similar wobble on this guys vimeo test, if you look at the edges you will see a wobble that looks artificial

https://vimeo.com/120268112

cheers
    Paul
    I'm really worried about getting a rig that's too light. Are you getting footsteps in your footage and did you fix the issue you were having with the artifical wobble?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakean View Post
    I'm really worried about getting a rig that's too light. Are you getting footsteps in your footage and did you fix the issue you were having with the artifical wobble?
    I've not had any time to take it further, hope to get some time this week.

But i don't think the Jr is too light or underpowered, out of all the smaller gimbals i think it's the best.

I just totally forgot to take into account the physical size of the O7Q monitor, you can see on various NAB videos that Hien says they have 12lbs+ on the Jr and in fact one of those videos has a red running on it.

I do think that running a gimbal needs practise and a different technique, it's not magical but another tool to use.

Once you load up the Jr it can be really quite heavy, i was hoping to do away with the whole easy rig approach but there are times as which i wonder if something like that is inevitable.

It's a very solid piece of kit

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome

6. Collapse Details
    What profiles are being used with the FS7? I keep having issues with wobbling. Even after painstakingly balancing the whole thing.
    Josh Becker
    www.joshbecker.net
    Now with 100% more Facebook!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jshbckr View Post
    What profiles are being used with the FS7? I keep having issues with wobbling. Even after painstakingly balancing the whole thing.
    Is your problem with helix Jr?

8. Collapse Details
    I've never taken the time to properly get my Red Dragon working on the full size Helix (Aluminum Version)

The Red Touch monitor swinging around is very much in danger of hitting the motor and cracking. It's not worth putting a 3k monitor at risk.

Here are some a7s frankenrig pics.

A7s, Rokinon (needed something light and cheap to bang around), SmallHD ac7, and RedRockMicro with FingerWheel. Again, quite the frankenrig and footage did have a lot of vertical wobble. Too much mass separating top and bottom... and too much mass on length.

IMG_5172.JPGIMG_5179.JPGIMG_5181.JPGIMG_5183.JPG

9. Collapse Details
    @ matg There's a 1/4" 20 on each handle of the Helix that you can attach a small Noga arm to. This will allow you to mount your monitor off the gimbal and reduce the topside mass on your camera.
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12