1. Collapse Details
    I want to expand an image and adjust the detail.
    Bronze Member
    I have a picture which I want to use on a movie poster. Unfortunately I ned toincrease hesize o thepcture to fit the poster resolution. That maks it less sharp than the rest of the poster. Is there a better way to increase its size?

2. Collapse Details
    Any time you increase the size of an image, you compromise the quality. There's only so much information in the original file and there's no way to create the information that wasn't captured. That being said, I have had good results using detail-preserving upscale in Photoshop.

Jim
    Colorburst Video

3. Collapse Details
    You can do it to some degree, but it wont be perfect.

The way to do it is to increase the size by only 10%, so if the height and the width is 70x50, then increase the size to 77x55 and put in a 10%-20% unsharp mask on it.
    Then resize again by 10%, add USM and so on and so on until you reach your goal.

The increase size is pretty much locked, but you might want to fiddle around with the USM to see what works best for your image.

Remember, larger photos or posters, require the viewer to be further away, so they wont see the compromised pixel.... heck, try standing with your nose against a random poster at a bus stop or similar and you'll see all the little blue red and green dots.

4. Collapse Details
    Also, there is a program called "Blow Up" that I have used on stills and it absolutely gives better results than resizing in Photoshop.
    But I've never tried Legrevedotcom's method he mentions just above - that sounds very interesting. I'm going to give it a try.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine