1. Collapse Details
    dumb after effects keying question
    Question
    Hey guys! I'm trying to do a sky replacement on this shot. I'm having a weird keying issue though.
    color key off.jpg

Here is an actor against the sky holding a sword. It looks fine here. But when keyed...
    color key on.jpg
    His sword almost looks like we had a super low shutter speed or something. It looks like 3 swords blurred. What is going on here? This seems to be happening with a bunch of different keying methods I try on this shot.

2. Collapse Details
    The sword is very thin and I'd bet has a ton of motion blur. And your are keying it against something that isn't a nice green screen. You may need to mask the sword area, track that rough loose mask. Then duplicate the footage. On the first one subtract the sword area and use one key system (Keylight is normally better than Color key that you are using). Then on the second copy, set it so it's just the sword area (think a rough capsule like shape around the sword). Then key that a different way. You might need to use the roto brush and refine feature to completely track the sword. If that doesn't work so well you may need to go in an paint the matte with the Paint effect on just the frames where it goes bad. Think of it as building up your matte in stages.
    Matt Sorrels

3. Collapse Details
    Is the sword reflective metal? There's a bunch of new headache if so...

If you want to get good at this work, IMMEDIATELY buy a Mark Christensen AE book and read his keying workflow. MSorrels mentioned multiple matte passes and masks above - MC makes it very easy to understand this, and how to just make one mask for 2 passes (by inverting the mask and tweaking a few things).

For stuff that's just impossible... render out those frames as stills and take them into photoshop to make masks, or render the entire matte sequence as an image sequence and manually paint the trouble areas. Photoshop's paint tools are way more flexible and intuitive.

If you go that route, get a stylus pad - even a $100 Wacom Bamboo is pretty killer.

4. Collapse Details
    After Effect's paint tool has come a long long way from the dark ages. But, and this is very important, you really need to use a pen tablet. Using a mouse and trying to paint with the AE paint effect is near impossible. Grab the Wacom and it's so smooth it isn't funny. I doubt I'd even bother with rendering and Photoshop anymore (though honestly Photoshop is much, much better). I've set my tablet up so that the express buttons will walk forward and backward frames and a few other common roto/paint things. I can pretty much drive the whole thing from the tablet. Though I'll admit I wasted more than a day setting up things and testing but I consider it time well spent (also did Mocha Pro at the same time).
    Matt Sorrels