Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH1 - Do modern (2014) SD cards affect quality?
    I have used some of the more conservative GH13 hacks on my camera with a sandisk SD card 30mbps card from two or three years ago. I wasn't sure if it would make a noticeable difference in the hack I use or the quality if I used a newer samsung microSD 90mbps card. It is in the mail anyway, for a trip and then eventual phone use (which is why I got the micro version, by the way).

Or, would the hardware on the GH1, either in the processing or the throughput of the SD interface, be the limiting factor? I just was not sure if it would be worth messing around with.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. Collapse Details
    This isn't the days of analog tape. If your SD card is too low speed (Class 4 instead of Class 10, for example) the camera will simply drop frames and give you an error that you can't record. The quality won't drop, it just won't work.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by edinc90 View Post
    This isn't the days of analog tape. If your SD card is too low speed (Class 4 instead of Class 10, for example) the camera will simply drop frames and give you an error that you can't record. The quality won't drop, it just won't work.
    Thank you for the response. I must have worded my question poorly.

I'm not concerned about class 4 vs class 10, but rather a class 10++ vs a class 10+++++ (the right model of newer cards often allow quite a bit better throughput and access times, etc). But also, in regards to flashing firmware with ptool that has X as the settings vs Y as the settings. I'm questioning the bitrates that are achievable via the GH1 due to the hacks. Are newer cards giving more reliable recordings (less errors that stop the recording) with high bitrates?

My guess was that most enthusists would have moved on to the GH2 or GH3, but was hoping someone had some 2014 experience with faster cards and different ptool settings.

Thanks again.

4. Collapse Details
    The only thing to do is to try. At some point, a higher bit rate will cause your files to be too big to write to the card in real time. At what bit rate that will happen is something I don't know. No harm in trying, you'll get a failed record, so just back off on the bitrate.

5. Collapse Details
    Card-by-card. I've run ultra-high bitrate firmwares on my GH2 with plain Class10 64GB transcend cards without a hiccup, but two of that same brand's newer 16GB UHS-1 card would occasionally fail with even stock firmware - I'm guessing faulty cards there, but the point is still the same. I later got two more Transcend 16GB UHS1 cards and they've never failed. I also bought two SanDisk 32gb pro cards, one routinely failed and the other never did.

For any critical project, it wouldn't hurt to check your cards beforehand by just recording a tree in the wind for a couple of hours in your target settings and see if it fails. If it does, then don't use that card for that project.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks again for the responses. I've got a few weeks to test it out before I leave. I figured it would mostly be a trial/error type situation. Memory cards are funny things (fakes, variability within bransds, etc). Lucky for us they do seem to always get a bit better.

Wouldn't even be having this conversation if the work hadn't been put in to hack the GH1, so thanks again to all those who contributed in some

7. Collapse Details
    I was coming to post the same exact question as my curiosity is toward an eventually better patch than the already Max Latitude I use. I have two GH4's and when the new San Disk Pro cards came out I purchased 3 of the new 64gb versions UHS-II, with one of them failing I had sent back to BH Photo. Luckily I have eight 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (earlier generations) of the 95mbs write speed, and they performed significantly the same. Pushing a higher write speed for UHS-II with my GH1 didn't show any improvement over the already Max Latitude 32GB 95mbs cards I used. I prefer not to damage the GH1 with heat curiosities. Plus it's old sensor technology as shadow compressions are inferior than the GH4 no matter what patch is used. It's just and older sensor and its noise ratio.

8. Collapse Details
    There is no difference in the image quality of GHx videos that have been properly recorded, regardless of the type of SD card. If a technical problem occurs during recording, the video file may be corrupted or lost; otherwise it will be recorded without error. So long as the speed of the SD card is adequate, the only issues to consider are capacity, reliability, and durability.

9. Collapse Details
    Anybody had issue with 64gig U3 cards? I've had the odd minor issue with my GH1, and a little part of me wonders if it is connected.

10. Collapse Details
    Still no response :-( Guess this GH1 forum is a tad deserted these days.... :-/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast