Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ZazaSound... NEW MixCave!
    So, my living room has been filled with audio gear for about the last 8 year...and I wanted it back!

With a budget of $700.00 and plan to clean out the basement (or at least part of it), I decided to pull the trigger
    and take on this project. I set a goal of building a MixCave in the month of August and break down and move the gear
    in in September, this included all the wiring of a new patch bay and the link lines to the upstairs video edit station.
    I also wanted to do this on a budget, so I got a friend to help me frame the walls (it took about 4 hours)...and the rest
    was up to me.

To keep within the budget, I searched Craigslist daily for anything I might be able to check off my list. I found some great
    doors that were free...check! I went with some pocket door hardware as I wanted a nice large opening for moving gear in & out.
    (like barn doors) At 52", there's plenty of room. The carpet was $92.00 and I got the paint off the 'goof' shelves for $7.00, both at Home Depot.
    The windows I used were from my neighbor, so those were free too.

The room is 9 1/2 feet wide & 19' 3" long.... I know, not the best measurements, but with the proper treatments and placement,
    this room is tight! I needed the room for overdubs, VO's, etc. and this was the one area of the basement without any plumbing running
    through it, so I made due with what I had to work with. The bulk of the money went to 2x4's, rock wool and sheetrock.

Gobos are easy & cheap to build, the cloth was a mix of fabric I got at JoAnn's (hint, check their web site...I found coupons for 60% off!)
    and repurposed table banners from another life (I knew I was holding on to those for a reason). All my gobo's and corner traps are removable
    so if I ever get tired of this stuff, out they come and I have a great storage room! I hung them using eye hooks and the spacing is all the same
    so you can move them around and create nice iso area's. With all the extra room down there, I do plan on building a nice vocal iso booth just
    outside the doors.

This room is linked to my office/edit suite up stairs and the shared drives, now I can edit in the light of the day & jam all night long!

Still have to install a video monitor, finish moving my keyboard rig and wire another patchbay for it...but everything is up & running now.
    Time to get back to some filmmaking now.

Life has come full-circle, after all these years.... I'm back in the basement!

...if you need me, I'll be in the basement...
    -Zaza
    Last edited by ZazaCast; 11-17-2014 at 09:52 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    All about the Caption Terry_Lasater's Avatar
    Nice work.
    Practice safe filmmaking; use a concept.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Lasater View Post
    Nice work.
    Thanks Terry!

4. Collapse Details
    Very nice... and thanks for making me feel like a shlubb for not finishing my mostly done audio cave...
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL View Post
    Very nice... and thanks for making me feel like a shlubb for not finishing my mostly done audio cave...
    My pleasure...now get'er done! I'm lovin' my MixCave as you will love yours. Cheers!

6. Collapse Details
    But where is the video screen?, nice room though. One of the pluses moving off the West Coast is that houses out hear have real basements. In the Bay Area at least that is pretty rare. though probably not so rare more inland where you get freezing winters.?

My basement "man cave" is the brewery, the "studio" is on the second floor.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    But where is the video screen?, nice room though. One of the pluses moving off the West Coast is that houses out hear have real basements. In the Bay Area at least that is pretty rare. though probably not so rare more inland where you get freezing winters.?

My basement "man cave" is the brewery, the "studio" is on the second floor.
    That's too funny, my brewery is on the second floor!

The video monitor will be above and behind the console and computer monitors that sit between the near-fields on the console stand.
    Like any studio, it's a work in progress. In the mean time, I just set one up off to the side.

8. Collapse Details
    I was a bit paranoid about having a big wet mess on an upper floor. That and I'm not sure my wife would let me have it on the second floor...

And out side in the winter, brrrrrrrrr. In SF no problem but Detroit gets nippy.

Now if I can get someone to buy our old boiler so I can get it OUT of the brewery I can finish it up.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    I was a bit paranoid about having a big wet mess on an upper floor. That and I'm not sure my wife would let me have it on the second floor...

And out side in the winter, brrrrrrrrr. In SF no problem but Detroit gets nippy.

Now if I can get someone to buy our old boiler so I can get it OUT of the brewery I can finish it up.
    You have a REAL brewery...my 'brewery' consists of a refrigerator & a 12-pack of my favorite craft beer.
    (so much easier)

I have a good friend 2 miles up the road that has a hop & barley farm...who brews hard cider & various beers: Helderberg Hop Farm
    http://helderberghopfarm.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Helde...73467889341655

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, a home brewery. Not huge, just a 5 gallon system. Other than for my self I have brewed for a number of events. You can't sell homebrew, but (depending on the state you are in) you can donate to an event. MI follows the fed guideline so I can brew up to 200 gallons. The closest I've come was around 150 a couple of years ago.
    This last summer since I had to set up out side for the events I made a "portable" bar.

not sure why that came out sideways and huge?

Anyway we usually have three or four on tap and some cider. In the photo there are four 5gal kegs and 150 lbs of ice in the re-proposed garbage can.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast