Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    you'll also want to get a tripod dolly if youre using a jib. if not, every time you have to move it you'll have to either take the jib off the head or get two people to carry the whole assembly end to end dangling the tripod below it.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wgzn View Post
    i've had my 8' kessler for man, nearly 10 years now. and its never let me down. i put it on manfrotto 3193 legs and a 510 head. solid as a brick s*%tter.

i keep each section in a pelican rifle case and have "cable drop" guides attached and velcro ties in place to make wiring faster. one case also accomodates the two counterweight plates and the others the cables and tools. so it's really as turn-key as it possibly could be
    Hm, in that case I reckon my Manfrotto 545 legs would be ok as well?

3. Collapse Details
    certainly should be. yes.

4. Collapse Details
    I usually do not have the legs extended. However, I can see where the problems might arise were I to do that. I haven't had any stability issues with the jib or tripod in the current setup, even when the legs are extended 1 section. The only thing I worry about is that I have to tighten the tripod tilt, else the head will, well, tilt forward, and I don't want that to be damaged by too much pressure. For now, I cannot afford a stronger tripod, so will just have to be careful with it and keep the legs shortened. This is just for student films, so will definitely upgrade (the entire setup and jib) when I begin more professional work.

Thanks for your comments, guys!
    Check out 2 of my short films!

Arty Ross: Supernatural Investigator:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...t-Film-Round-1
    Prufrock: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986543166

Lance Samples

5. Collapse Details
    I came across this on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pergear-1...3D291230010104

Seems very similar to the Kessler Pocket Jib; no idea if it's any good

6. Collapse Details
    The mounting point looks very weak... I would expect that joint to make small slips now and again.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Let me know how you go - I'm pretty close to buying one too.
    So the Pocket Jib Pro finally got here. Obviously I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but out of the box, it feels pretty damn well machined. The Hercules 2.0 head is by no means a top of the line pro video head as you know it, but I'm amazed by the build quality and smoothness of it.

The jib literally is as fast to set up as the in the video the Kessler guys made themselves. The tool free screws really make a difference because there is no fidgeting with allen keys and so on.

The build itself is solid. It feels rugged in my hands, even when extended.

The transport case is made for this thing. Some brands (at least the iFootage one I had before) just make a general soft bag or case and hope the thing will fit inside. The Jib Pro really does fit in the case, though it's not immediately travel friendly with its 120cm length and decent weight. But in and out of the back of a car, this will be nice to work with.

So pretty happy so far.

It's sitting on my semi-pro Manfrotto 545 legs and they feel like they can handle it, but I think I'm going to end up getting the K-Pod for maximum stability. I feel like the jib deserves it hahaha.

Disclaimer: This is purely my first hand impression, neither Kessler nor the retailer has endorsed me in any way. But I just like writing positive stuff now and again, instead of warning about bad stuff

8. Collapse Details
    And now I'm sure I'll need better sticks.

The locking mechanism of the Manfrotto 545 are too weak to carry just the jib, 5d, 502ah head and the cineslider. I didn't even have any counter weight at the moment to put on, but upon extending the legs some 15cm or so, they will slide back down to the starting position.
    Quite disappointing considering that Manfrotto themselves specify that the 545 should be able to handle 55 pounds.

9. Collapse Details
    I doubt any tripod's spec is for weight spread over the length of a jib. It's more weight right on top of the legs.
    Matt Sorrels

10. Collapse Details
    Makes sense..... K-pod it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast